How our choice-based letting system works

After you've made a bid

When the bidding cycle ends we will look at the active bids places when allocating each property, taking into consideration all the additional criteria attached to the property. 

If your bid is unsuccessful, you will have the opportunity to place another bid during the next bidding cycle.

Once you have been on the list and bidding for a while, you will be given access to the Pre-tenancy training.

Pre-tenancy training

Applicants who do not currently hold a tenancy with us and are bidding for one, will be expected to complete the pre-tenancy training prior to being housed.

If the pre-tenancy training is not completed, your application will be suspended and you will be contacted via email. You will be given 3 months to complete the course or contact the Tenant Academy before your application is closed. 

Links to the course will be sent directly to applicants’ emails as they get closer to a successful bid on the housing register. You must let us know of any changes to your contact details.

Once you have completed the course you will be able to download your certificate. We have details of everyone who has been enrolled and completed the course so we will update your housing application accordingly. You do not need to print out your certificate, unless you want to. 

If you are worried about the course or struggling to complete it you can contact the Tenant Academy team to discuss how we can help you. Our contact details can be found at the end of this page.

If you are an existing tenant who is interested in tenancy training, let us or your housing officer know and we can discuss your options. 

The pre-tenancy course includes information that you will need on the following subjects:

  • Tenancy agreements
  • Tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities
  • Rent and different ways to pay
  • Living in your home
  • Repairs and maintenance

Each session ends with a short quiz that allows us to check your understanding of the information in each section.

Applicants will also be given access to other short courses that can help you prepare to move.

These include:

  • loan shark awareness
  • decorating your home
  • be the change course, which includes tips on saving money while helping to reduce your carbon footprint

Log in instructions will be sent to the email address you supply on your housing application.

For more information about the training, contact us at 

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page