Leading an active and healthy lifestyle
Be active support from Live Well Swindon
Live Well Swindon’s Physical Activity team are here to help support and empower individuals to achieve better health through the promotion of physical activity and healthy living.
Our work focuses on tackling health inequalities and assisting those who would benefit from being more active, more often through a person-centred, motivational approach. Our offer is open to all Swindon residents, referrals and self-referrals, specifically focusing on individuals who:
- are at risk of, or living with a long term health condition
- have a disability
- are at risk of falls
- have poor mental health
- are currently inactive
- are in need of support to help build confidence around being more active
We have a number of programmes on offer including:
- Be Active, Be Healthy Navigation
- Otago - Strength and Balance
- Be Active Sessions: a range of group-based activities, intended to make being active easy and fun. We offer a variety of activities (please contact Live Well Swindon for the latest offer), and all our programmes are designed to be inclusive and accessible. Sessions are delivered in various locations across Swindon (12 week programme, cost involved).
Please note all programmes are subject to an inclusion/exclusion criteria, clients will be screened and asked to complete a pre-activity questionnaire (PARQ) prior to be accepted on to a programme, and may be asked to seek further information from a licensed medical professional before participating.
General Inclusion Criteria for Physical Activity:
- aged 18 or over and a resident in the Borough of Swindon or registered with a GP within the Swindon Locality
- clinically stable, (no events or changes in symptoms or medication during the previous month), no contraindications to exercise and with risk factors/health conditions amenable to physical activity
- does NOT require a rehabilitation programme to support recovery from specific conditions or disease, or a health condition which requires clinical support
- inactive/sedentary and ready to make a change to their physical activity levels
- independently mobile (with or without an aid)
- able to communicate, participate and self-monitor and do not require 1:1 supervision
If you, or someone you are wanting to refer, would benefit from support from Live Well Swindon and would like to access the programmes above, please complete the online form. Alternatively, please call 01793 465513 or email LiveWell@swindon.gov.uk.
On receipt of a referral, recommendation or enquiry, a member of the team will help identify and match the most appropriate opportunities and support available to each individual.
Exercise Referral: If you are looking for support through an Exercise Referral programme, please find information about Healthwise from Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) on Swindon Local Offer - Exercise referral programmes.