Stop smoking service
Stopping smoking is the single most important thing that you can do to dramatically increase your chances of living longer. Studies show that you're four times more likely to quit with help from your local NHS Stop Smoking Service. Developed by experts and ex-smokers and delivered by professionals, your local Stop Smoking Service provides expert advice, support and encouragement to help you stop smoking for good. It offers free one-to-one support along with stop smoking medicines, which are available for the cost of a prescription.
You don’t have to wait long for the benefits to start once you stop:
- in 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
- in 8 hours nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood are halved
- in 24 hours carbon monoxide will be illuminated from your body and your lungs will have started to clear out the tar that’s been clogging them up
- in 48 hours no nicotine will be left in your body. Your senses of taste and smell are greatly improved
- in 72 hours your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase
- between 2-12 weeks your circulation improves and exercise can be easier
- between 3-9 months any coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve
- if you smoke 20 a day you could save more than £200 in a month which adds up to more than £2,500 in a year.
The Swindon Stop Smoking Service is free and helps many people to quit for good.
Most Pharmacies offer the flexibility of opening longer hours and weekends, and some offer a drop-in service.
Many clients prefer to go to their GP Practice where they have often already built a good rapport with the staff there and it is usually accessible to them.