Mead Way improvements
Mead Way connects residential areas of North and West Swindon with major employment areas and the town centre. Since the road was constructed in the 1980s, the area around Mead Way has expanded and subsequently the amount of traffic using the road has also increased.
Approximately £4 million is being invested to improve the capacity of the road to cope with this increased demand.
What improvements are being made?
- An additional lane will be built going northbound from Meads roundabout (on Great Western Way) to Withymead roundabout (by Simply Gym and Kidz About)
- Mead Way will be resurfaced between Meads and Withymead roundabouts
- The roundabout at Westmead Drive and Stonehill Green junction will be converted into a signalised crossroad junction with a toucan crossing for pedestrians to cross Westmead Drive
- As part of the widening, we will also be improving some of the safety features above the subway
- Street furniture will be replaced and street lighting will be upgraded to be more energy efficient. A replacement bus shelter will also be incorporated.
When did the work start?
The contractor, Britannia Construction Ltd completed the first phase of improvements from the Meads roundabout to Westmead roundabout in March 2021.
Britannia Construction Ltd started work on the second phase of improvements from Westmead roundabout to Withymead roundabout in January 2021.
Our revised programme shows a completion date of late summer, which takes us into September, and we are still aiming to fully reopen Mead Way by then.
The documents below provide further information on the planned improvement work:
The bid for this work was supported by the Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise Partnership, and by both of Swindon’s Members of Parliament.
If you wish to contact the Mead Way project team for further information, or to provide any feedback, you can email us at: email@example.com.
You can sign up to monthly updates on the scheme via the Mead Way newsletter. Previous editions of the newsletter can be found below: