Transferring to a Swindon school

This page gives information about how to apply to transfer to a Swindon School during the academic year (outside the normal round of admissions)

How do I apply?

If your child is of school age you and your child is not attending school or you wish them to transfer to another school in Swindon, you need to make an in-year application.

  • You can apply for a school place by using the in-year application form (PDF). Alternatively you can obtain this form from any Swindon school or customer services. There is no online facility for in-year applications.
  • If your child currently attends a Swindon school, the form must be signed by the Head Teacher of your child’s current school prior to submission to the school admissions team.
  • If your child’s previous school was outside the United Kingdom, you should visit customer services to make your application. Please bring your child’s passport and visa with you. You can only make your application if your child is resident with you in the country.
  • You should make enquiries with the school admissions team to check the availability of places prior to application.
  • Applications will be considered using the 2016 Admissions Policies

Which schools can I apply for?

  • You can apply for any Swindon school.
  • If you wish your child to attend a school outside of Swindon you should contact the Local Authority where the school is based.

How long does it take for my application to be considered?

The School Admissions Team advises that applications normally take two school weeks to consider, however there a number of factors which may mean that application takes longer to consider

  • If you apply at the beginning or ends of term. This is because of the volume of applications received
  • If your application is for a school which considers their own application e.g. some academies and faith schools
  • If your child requires specific support to be put in place?

How long does it take for my application to be considered?

Applications are considered in date and preference order

  • Applications for academies and voluntary aided schools may be forwarded to the schools to consider. In this case your decision letter will be sent to you by the school
  • You will receive a decision letter for each preference

What happens if my application is offered?

  • Once you have received a letter advising of the offer of the place, please contact the school directly to agree a mutually agreeable start date.
  • Please return the reply slip accepting the school place
  • Places should be taken up within 28 days of offer.

What happens if my application is refused?

  • If your child is refused they will be added to the waiting list. Waiting lists are held in the oversubscription criteria order.
  • Your child may move up or down the waiting lists as other children are added and removed. No priority is given to the length of time your child spends on the waiting list
  • For Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools, the waiting list is held until the end of the academic year, if you wish to remain on the waiting list for the following year, a new application is required.
  • For Academies and Voluntary Aided schools, information about the waiting lists is obtainable by the pool.
  • You have the right to appeal for your child if you have been refused a place. More information can be found on the School Admission Appeals webpage

Applying for an in-year place for the next academic year

If you wish to make an application for your child to transfer for the next academic year, you can indicate this on your application form and submit this at any time.

The application will not be considered until June as a place cannot be held for more than 1 term.

Applying for a place in Year 11

It is recognised that children moving into Year 11 is a difficult step for a child as they are already preparing to take their GCSE and other exams. The schools may be required to put in extra support to help the child prepare. 

The application for a child moving into Swindon and not currently attending a Swindon school is considered by the Fair Access Panel. This panel will determine the placement offered. Where necessary this may involve matching the curriculum that the child is already studying to the school which can best meet the child’s studies.

Applying for a place in a school sixth form

The admissions team do not co-ordinate applications for sixth form admissions. If you wish to apply for a place in a sixth form, you should contact the school directly to request admission.

Last updated: 12 August 2016. Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.