Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updates on council services, health advice, and support available for residents and businesses.

Changing or transferring to a Swindon school

You make an "in-year" application for your child to attend a Swindon school unless they:

This means an "in-year" application is necessary when your child is:

  • leaving a school in Swindon to go to a different school
  • moving to a school in Swindon from a school that’s outside Swindon

If your child is moving from a Swindon school to attend school outside Swindon, you should contact the relevant council about making your application. You can use an online tool to check which council area you will live in.

Depending on your or your child’s circumstances, there are many things you should think about before making an in-year application.

How the application works

As a local authority, we co-ordinate all applications made during the academic year for all year groups for all schools in Swindon. This includes all schools that we, as a local authority, do not actually manage.

You make an in-year application online.

You get to choose three schools in order of preference. We will work with the relevant admitting authority with the aim of offering your child a place at one of the schools you’ve stated.

All preferences are treated equally, so we will offer the highest preference whenever possible.

Due to the current closure of schools in relation to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we have changed the way we are processing in-year applications.

Parents are still able to complete and apply for an in-year place, but your application will not be processed until schools re-open. We will publish an updated timetable of allocation dates when we are able to. If you are a keyworker, or your child is vulnerable as defined by the Government, or you have recently moved to Swindon and your child does not have a school place, please add a note to state this within the application.

As part of the response to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, educational settings have been asked to continue to provide care for a limited number of children and young people:

  • those who are vulnerable
  • those whose parents/carers are critical to the coronavirus (COVID-19) response.

The government encourages vulnerable children and young people to attend educational settings unless they have underlying health conditions that put them at severe risk.

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, vulnerable children and young people are defined as those who:

  • are assessed as being in need under section 17 of the Children Act 1989, including children who have a child in need plan, a child protection plan or who are a looked after child
  • have an education, health and care (EHC) plan whose needs cannot be met safely in the home environment
  • have been assessed as otherwise vulnerable by educational providers or local authorities (including children’s social care services), and who are therefore in need of continued education provision

This might include children on the edge of receiving support from children’s social care services, adopted children, or those who are young carers, and others at the provider and local authority discretion.

If you have already submitted an in-year transfer application, this will remain in place for when the schools re-open and we are able to allocate school places.

If you have moved to Swindon recently and your child does not have a current Swindon school, or if you are a keyworker and in need of child care, e-mail us at and we will contact you in the coming days.

If your application is not successful

If we cannot offer your child a place at one of your preferred schools and they do not already attend a Swindon school, we will offer a place at the nearest school that has availability. This is assuming you have provided evidence of your Swindon address.

You can be added to the waiting list for a preferred school, if the school has one. A school’s waiting list policy is held in its oversubscription criteria. Your child may move up or down the list as other children are added and removed. No priority is given according to the amount of time your child spends on the list.

For community schools and voluntary controlled schools, the waiting list is held until the end of the academic year. If you wish to remain on the waiting list for the following year, you must make another application in that academic year.

Give feedback about this page

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?