Overview and scrutiny
Overview and scrutiny is a fundamental part of a local authority's political structure and it is very similar to the select committee process that operates in parliament.
The overview and scrutiny process is carried out on behalf of the people of Swindon by councillors, together with experts with specialist knowledge, stakeholders and other interested parties. This is done by:
- challenging the performance of service providers to raise standards, and ensuring that services meet people's needs
- holding the council's decision makers to account
- examining issues which affect the well-being of the people of Swindon
Get involved in improving Swindon
You can get involved in the overview and scrutiny process in two ways: by suggesting a topic that you believe needs investigating, or by becoming part of an investigation and actually participating in carrying out a review.
To find out what reviews are currently taking place and how you can get involved in a review, see the details below.
If you receive an invitation
If you are invited to attend an overview and scrutiny committee meeting or task group, Committee and Members Services will provide you with details of when and where the meeting is taking place and what information that committee would like you to provide.
In order to carry out an effective overview and scrutiny review, committees are reliant on information from officers who are experts in their field, whether from the local authority or from a partner organisation.
Committee and Members Services will inform relevant officers as soon as possible when a request for information has been made, and will outline:
- the nature of the information required
- whether attendance at a committee meeting is necessary
- deadlines for reports
- details of when and where the meeting is taking place
List of committees
- Economy and Regeneration Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Great Western Ambulance Joint Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Health, Adult and Children Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Resources Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Scrutiny Committee
- Streetsmart and Highways Overview and Scrutiny Committee
More details about the democratic and scrutiny process is available on these websites:
- Centre for Public Scrutiny website
- Communities and Local Government website
- Local Government Association website
- Gov.uk website