Make a Subject Access Request to see your personal information

Important notice:

If you’ve made a Freedom of Information request from a public body or made a subject access request (SAR) for your own information, you should expect delays in response. That’s because organisations are diverting their resources to help with other challenges.

You can make Subject Access Request (SAR) to find out what data we hold about you and how it is used. Our Data Protection Officer is responsible for dealing with all formal requests for access to personal information. You can express an interest to see your personal information to any council officer, or directly to the Data Protection Officer.

What you need to do

You can make your request online, by clicking the 'Make a Subject Access Request' button below.

You will need the following to complete your request:

  • A good quality scan of a passport, medical card, driving licence or birth certificate as proof of identity
  • A good quality scan of a recent Council Tax or utility bill showing your current address

If your request is for your children’s data (under 13 years), you will need to supply proof of parental responsibility, either a birth certificate, power of attorney or a similar legal document.

If you are submitting a Subject Access Request on behalf of another person, we will require your identity details and those of the individual you are making the request for, along with a signed declaration from the individual.

Without this requested information and evidence, your Subject Access Request may not be actioned.

Make a Subject Access Request

Full guidance about making a SAR can be viewed in the Data Protection Subject Access Requests (SAR) Privacy Notice

What happens next

After we receive your request, including proofs of identity and address, we will normally respond with a copy of the requested information within one calendar month.

The law does allow us to extend the response deadline by a further two months where a request is particularly large or complex. However, we will always make every attempt to provide information as quickly as possible.

Contact details

Send your completed form(s) and proofs of identity and address to

Or by post to:

Data Protection Officer
Swindon Borough Council
Civic Offices
Euclid Street

Further guidance

You can find further guidance about making a Subject Access Request at the Information Commissioner’s Office website.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page