Keeping your personal information safe

Using Your Personal Information

As Swindon Borough Council offers a range of diverse services, it has a number of separate sections (called service areas) who have responsibility for different services. This means that sometimes we use the personal information you provide for the following purposes: Regulatory, Licensing, Enforcement, and other Local Government functions, which the Council is obliged to undertake.

We also work with other government organisations that have Regulatory or Enforcement functions and personal information may be shared with these organisations on a case-by-case basis.

The Council also uses voluntary organisations or private organisations, to provide services to you and personal information will be shared with the provider. 

Data Register

When we notify (register) our data to the Commissioner's Office, we must state to whom we may wish to disclose your personal data. Register entries do not hold any personal information, they only show what an individual or organisation is registered to do. The data register is open to public inspection at the Commissioner's office in Wilmslow and on the Information Commissioner website (see below).

Further Information

Copies of all individual register entries are free of charge and can be applied for by contacting:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 01625 545745
Fax: 01625 524510


In respect of disclosure of your personal information we will:

  • Try to make it as clear as possible to you who we may wish to disclose your personal information to when we obtain it from you
  • Only disclose your personal information in order to meet the purposes that we obtain it for
  • Only disclose your personal information to those people or organisations that have been approved within our notification entries
  • Ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal information when we contract private organisations to provide services to you.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page