Apply for a temporary event licence

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is needed to authorise small events which involve licensable activities such as: 

  • the sale by retail of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or the order of, a member of the club serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • the provision of regulated entertainment 
  • the provision of late-night refreshment

An application for a Temporary Event Notices must be made at least 10 working days before the event.

Applications received between five and nine working days before the event are classed as late applications, this does not include the date of submission nor the day of the event. Please also remember to allow for bank holidays.

The cost of a Temporary Event Notice is £21.

Temporary event notice online application


  • The event period may last for a maximum of seven days. This is the time during which licensable activities may take place, but they do not have to take place during the whole of that seven day period, and some activities may take place at different times to others.
  • No more than 499 people, including staff and performers may attend the event at any one time. A Premises Licence must be obtained for 500 or more attendees, including one-off events.
  • The same premises cannot be used under a Temporary Event Notice on more than 15 occasions in a calendar year
  • There must be at least 24 hours between each event at any one premises where the user of the Temporary Event Notice is the same person or connected persons
  • Although each Temporary Event Notice can last for a period of up to seven days, no more than 21 days can be covered for the premises in question within a calendar year. If an event starts on one day and finishes the next morning this is two days out of the limit of 21 per year.
  • If the individual holds a Personal Licence they can apply for up to 50 Temporary Event Notices per calendar year, assuming that they use different premises from time to time
  • If the individual does not hold a Personal Licence they are limited to five Temporary Event Notices per calendar year

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page