Apply for an alcohol and entertainment personal licence

A personal licence is required by any person responsible for the sale or supply of alcohol.

All licensed alcohol-serving premises will need at least one personal licence holder, one of whom will be named on the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS).

A personal licence may be required to operate under a Temporary Event Notice. For more information on Temporary Event Notices please visit the Government website.

To qualify for a personal licence you must meet certain criteria:

  • The applicant is aged 18 or over
  • No personal licence held by the applicant has been forfeited or revoked within the period of five years before making the application
  • The applicant possesses an accredited licensing qualification, or is a person of prescribed description
  • The applicant has not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence including civil immigration penalties
  • You must not have an outstanding application for a personal licence at any other Local Authority

The cost for a personal licence is £37. This fee is non-refundable and payable at the time of application. Personal licences last in perpetuity.

Once you have obtained a personal licence you must contact the Licensing Authority to advise of any changes in circumstances including name changes, change of address as a matter of urgency. Failure to do may result in your licence being revoked and criminal proceedings taken against you.

How to apply

To complete this form please ensure you have the following:

  • Evidence of your qualification
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. This must be no older than a month after issue.
  • Passport style photo of the applicant. Photographs must be endorsed by a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant by a solicitor, notary, person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

If you are uploading a digital photograph we will need the full name and email address of the person who can confirm your identity. We may contact this person so ensure they are fully aware of your application and required details.

Apply for a personal licence

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page