Animal welfare licensing
Apply for a licence to provide day care for dogs
Under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, a licence is required to provide day care for dogs as part of a business.
When is a licence needed?
A licence is required if you are:
- providing day care for dogs as part of a business and are earning a commission or any fee (even if small)
- arranging day care for dogs as part of a business and are earning a commission or fee
Are there any exceptions?
The following examples are considered in the guidance as out of scope and do not require a licence:
- If no payment is made to the day carer they are not required to have a licence. However, if they are caring for a dog on behalf of a business who earns a fee for arranging the care, they would have to be inspected in order for the business’ licence to be granted.
- If the dog remains in its own home, for example, dog sitting
- If the primary purpose of the dog being cared for is something else, for example, a veterinary practice where the dog is being boarded as part of its medical treatment
What should I consider?
Full details are available in the guidance notes below:
The following may also be of special interest:
- If you provide day care in the home and also accommodate overnight boarding, this is now considered a separate activity. You will need to consider the guidance for this. A double inspection would be carried out and a dual licence issued if granted.
- If providing day care in your home, you need to be aware of the requirements relating to the rooms that can be used. This is how we determine the number of dogs permitted inclusive of any home boarded dogs. The full details are listed under 3.2 in the guidance. Upstairs rooms can now be considered with the exception of children’s bedrooms (under 16 years). A separate room must be allocated for your own dog(s) where applicable.
- Day care dogs must not be left unattended for any period
- The number of dogs permitted on your premises is as stated on your licence. No further dogs may be allowed on to the premises for any period of time. This includes dogs that are not being care for, such as those being walked only.
How to apply
Download and complete the following document:
If you are applying for more than one activity, please fill out all relevant forms.
Completed forms may be returned to:
Animals and Licensing
Swindon Borough Council
Wat Tyler House, 5th Floor
Alternatively, they may be sent to email@example.com
How to pay
Fees can be paid by cheque made payable to Swindon Borough Council or by phone on 01793 466114. Only the application fee needs to be paid with the application. The grant fee for the issue of the licence is payable following inspection.
The full fee list is available to view below:
|Licensable activity||Application fee including renewals||Additional costs||Licence grant fee - 1 year||Licence grant fee - 2 years||Licence grant fee - 3 years|
|Up to and including 6 animals||£125||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£180||£245||£305|
|7 to 10 animals||£140||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£200||£265||£325|
|11 to 30 animals||£155||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£240||£325||£390|
|31 to 60 animals||£180||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£240||£325||£390|
|61 to 99 animals||£210||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£240||£325||£390|
|100+ animals||£240||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£240||£325||£390|
|Variation of licence||£55||Vets fees where applicable and recharged at cost plus £85 inspection fee if required.||None||None||None|
|Minor Variation – minor administrative change. For example, name change or additional carer name||£15||None||None||None||None|
|Transfer due to death of licensee||£55||None||None||None||None|
|Re-evaluation of star rating||£45 + £85 inspection fee||None||None||None||None|
|Copy of licence||£10.50||None||None||None||None|
|Combination of licensable activities||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest application fee||Vets fees as required recharged at cost||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest grant fee||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest grant fee||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest grant fee|