Animal welfare licensing
Apply for a licence to provide home boarding for dogs
Under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, a licence is required to board dogs in your home as part of a business.
When is a licence needed?
A licence will be required if you are:
- providing boarding for dogs as part of a business and earning a commission or any fee (even if small)
- arranging boarding for dogs as part of a business and earning a commission or fee
Are there any exceptions?
The following examples are considered out of scope and do not require a licence:
- If no payment is made to the boarder you are not required to have a licence. However, if you are boarding on behalf of a business who earns a fee for arranging the board, you would have to be inspected in order for the business’ licence to be granted. There will be a charge for this inspection.
- If the dog remains in its own home, for example, dog sitting
- If the primary purpose of the dog being boarded is something else, for example, a veterinary practice where the dog is being boarded as part of its medical treatment
What should I consider?
Full details are available in the guidance notes below:
The following may also be of special interest:
- The number of dogs that you can be licensed for will depend on the number of rooms in your property that have a secure full height door and window. The full details including exceptions are listed under 3.2 in the guidance. Upstairs rooms can now be considered with the exception of children’s bedrooms (under 16 years). Your own dog(s) must be allocated their own room where applicable.
- The number of dogs permitted on your premises is as stated on your licence. No further dogs may be allowed onto the premises for any period of time. This includes dogs that are not being boarded such as those being walked only.
How to apply
Download and complete the following document:
If you are applying for more than one activity, please fill out all relevant forms.
Completed forms may be returned to:
Animals and Licensing
Swindon Borough Council
Wat Tyler House, 5th Floor
Alternatively, they may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to pay
Fees can be paid by cheque made payable to Swindon Borough Council or by phone on 01793 466114. Only the application fee needs to be paid with the application. The grant fee for the issue of the licence is payable following inspection.
The full fee list is available to view below:
|Licensable activity||Application fee including renewals||Additional costs||Licence grant fee - 1 year||Licence grant fee - 2 years||Licence grant fee - 3 years|
|Up to and including 6 dogs||£125||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£180||£245||£305|
|7 to 10 dogs||£140||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£180||£245||£305|
|11+ dogs||£155||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£180||£245||£305|
|Arranger - main person||£75||None||£180||£245||£305|
|In scope carer||£80||Vet fees where applicable throughout the duration of the licence. Recharged at cost||£180||£245||£305|
|Out of scope carer||£80||None||None||None||None|
|Variation of licence||£55||Vets fees where applicable and recharged at cost plus £85 inspection fee if required.||None||None||None|
|Minor Variation – minor administrative change. For example, name change or additional carer name||£15||None||None||None||None|
|Transfer due to death of licensee||£55||None||None||None||None|
|Re-evaluation of star rating||£45 + £85 inspection fee||None||None||None||None|
|Copy of licence||£10.50||None||None||None||None|
|Combination of licensable activities||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest application fee||Vets fees as required recharged at cost||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest grant fee||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest grant fee||Fee chargeable is the highest fee combined with 50% of lowest grant fee|