Apply for a licence to excavate the highway

A contractor who wishes to carry out a temporary excavation of the highway needs to obtain a licence. This is often referred to as a Section 171 Notice.

How to apply

Please download and complete a Temporary Excavation of the Highway Licence Application Form (PDF)

Further information can be found in the Temporary Excavation of the Highway Guidance Notes (PDF)

How to pay

The licence fee is £281.40.

Pay for a Temporary Excavation Licence Online

Further information


Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.