Find out about sheltered housing
Sheltered housing provides home to older people who want to live independently and have various housing needs.
Who can apply
You can apply for sheltered housing if you are over the age of 60 years. However, a person who receives disability living allowance can apply over the age of 50 years.
What support you can get in sheltered housing
The support you get in your sheltered accommodation depends on the housing scheme. However, most of the schemes provide:
- individual self-contained flats, bungalows or studio flats
- carpeted and lit internal corridors
- fully furnished communal lounges
- economic central heating systems
- communal laundries
- high level of fire protection and security
- 24-hour emergency alarm cover
- guest rooms for visitors
- regular coffee mornings and social activities
- the services of a Sheltered Housing Officer or visiting scheme manager
You can download sheltered housing booklet to find information on extra care sheltered housing and a list of sheltered housing premises in Swindon.
When you apply for sheltered housing, we put you on a waiting list. We share our waiting list with other registered housing associations. This means you can access over 50 schemes throughout Swindon.