Direct payments for carers

If you have had a carer's assessment and have been offered support as a carer, you may be able to have a direct payment.

Direct payments are cash payments made directly to you, instead of the Council arranging and providing services for you. You can use the direct payment to purchase the support you need.

As well as giving you more control, flexibility and choice in meeting your needs as a carer, direct payments will let you continue in your caring role and maintain your own health and well-being.


You may be eligible to a direct payment if you are:

  • an unpaid carer, over 18 years of age, who cares for someone on a regular and substantial basis
  • a young person aged 16 or 17 who provides a substantial amount of care for someone aged 18 or over

The person you care for does not need to have direct payments or even be receiving a service from Adult Social Care in order for you to have a carer's direct payment – although they must be eligible to receive services if they were to be assessed.

The direct payment must only be used to meet your own needs, not to provide additional services to the cared for person.

If the person you care for is eligible for services, they may be able to have their own direct payment so that they can arrange and pay for their own services directly.

Support from Developing Health and Independence (DHI)

We work in partnership with DHI. You can contact them on the following number:

Tel: 01793 495372

Further information

Additional information and support for carers is available on the Swindon Local Offer website.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page