On this page: Information on Swindon's historical collection - resources available for studies, including genealogy (family history) research.
The Swindon Collection
The Swindon Collection of local studies and family history material can be found on the second floor of Central Library. Staff will be happy to help you begin your search. Additionally, one Monday a month, an archivist from the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre will be available to advise researchers. Please check with Swindon collection staff for future dates.
Swindon Collection Photostream
In collaboration with the people of Swindon and local history enthusiasts, Swindon Central Library has produced a substantial online library of historical photographs - on the Internet photograph repository, Flickr.
The Swindon Collection Photostream is an ongoing project to publish the history of the Borough of Swindon in photographs.
The collection already includes many thousands of fascinating images - drawn from the library's collection, the private collections of local residents and enthusiasts, and historical material from Swindon's commercial institutions of the past and present.
Please see the Swindon Collection Photostream on Flickr (www.flickr.com/swindonlocal).
Other Key Resources
- Complete GRO index of Births, Marriages & Deaths, for the whole of England and Wales (1837-1999).
- GRO Overseas index.
- International Genealogical Index (The LDS or Mormon Index).
- Census records (1841-1901) with surname and street indexes where available.
- Parish registers, bishops transcripts and surname transcriptions where available (from 1538).
- Free access to Find My Past Community Edition.
- All available parish magazines, newsletters and journals, including staff magazines for the Great Western Railway, Wills Tobacco, Garrards and Vickers.
- Complete microfilm run of all local newspapers, including the Swindon Evening Advertiser (from 1854) and the North Wilts Herald (from 1861).
- Complete microfilm run of The Times (from 1785) and access to The Times Digital.
- Microfiche readers and microfilm readers with self-printing.
- Large collection of all available books, scrapbooks, leaflets, reports, and other ephemera, relating to Swindon and the surrounding area.
- Voters lists & electoral rolls for Swindon and Thamesdown (from 1945 to date).
- Street, trade and telephone directories (including Kellys 1848-1939).
- Local authors collection with an emphasis on Alfred Williams and Richard Jefferies. (More details are contained in a downloadable PDF file: Swindon Collection: Local Authors (130Kb).).
- Extensive collection of local maps (including earliest Ordnance Survey maps, geological maps and street maps).
- Large historical photographic collection (over 6000 items).
- Fully searchable library catalogue.
For further information please refer to the following PDF: