Search local history and genealogy records
The Local Studies Collection can be found on the second floor of Central Library. Staff will be happy to help you begin your search. Additionally, one Monday a month, an archivist from the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre will be available to advise researchers. Please check with the Local Studies Team for future dates.
- Complete GRO index of Births, Marriages & Deaths, for the whole of England and Wales (1837-1999).
GRO Overseas index.
- International Genealogical Index (The LDS or Mormon Index).
- Census records (1841-1901) with surname and street indexes where available.
- Parish registers, bishops transcripts and surname transcriptions where available (from 1538).
- Free access to Find My Past Community Edition and the British Newspaper Archive.
- All available parish magazines, newsletters and journals, including staff magazines for the Great Western Railway, Wills Tobacco, Garrards and Vickers.
- Complete microfilm run of all local newspapers, including the Swindon Evening Advertiser (from 1854) and the North Wilts Herald (from 1861).
- Complete microfilm run of The Times (from 1785) and free access to The Times Digital.
- Microfiche readers and microfilm readers with self-printing.
- Large collection of all available books, scrapbooks, leaflets, reports, and other ephemera, relating to Swindon and the surrounding area.
- Voters lists & electoral rolls for Swindon and Thamesdown (from 1945 to date).
- Street, trade and telephone directories (including Kellys 1848-1939).
- Local authors collection with an emphasis on Alfred Williams and Richard Jefferies. Details are contained in the Swindon Collection: Local Authors document (PDF)
- Extensive collection of local maps (including earliest Ordnance Survey maps, geological maps and street maps).
- Large historical photographic collection (over 6000 items).
- Fully searchable library catalogue.
Local studies history gallery
In collaboration with the people of Swindon and local history enthusiasts, Swindon Central Library has produced a substantial online library of historical photographs.
The collection already includes many thousands of fascinating images - drawn from the library's collection, the private collections of local residents and enthusiasts, and historical material from Swindon's commercial institutions of the past and present.
Please see the Local Studies Photostream on Flickr.
Further details are available in the following document:
Local Studies & Family History
Swindon Central Library
Telephone: (01793) 463238
Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday: 10.00am - 4.00pm
Saturday: 10.00am - 1.30pm