Planning policy guidance
Adopted guidance - design toolkit
Residential extensions and alterations SPD
This SPD amplifies Policy DE1 of the adopted Swindon Borough Local Plan 2026 by providing detailed guidance to assist in achieving high quality development and protect amenity.
Inclusive design access for all SPD
This SPD amplifies Policy DE1 of the adopted Swindon Borough Local Plan 2026 by providing guidance to assist in achieving high quality and inclusive design for all development; including individual buildings, public and private spaces.
Swindon Residential Design Guide SPD
The purpose of this SPD is to expand upon Policy DE1: High Quality Design (Swindon Borough Local Plan 2026) and to assist with implementation of this policy in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF). The SPD builds on previous guidance to provide a clear set of principles and guidelines to ensure high quality design, and to shape new development in line with the Council’s Strategic Planning Objectives on Design Quality, the placemaking ambitions within the Borough’s Corporate vision and in accordance with the core principles of the NPPF.
This document was adopted at the June 2016 Planning Committee.
- Swindon Residential Design Guide 2016 - Part 1 (PDF)
- Swindon Residential Deisign Guide 2016 - Part 2 (PDF)
Swindon design guide
The Design Guide covers all aspects of design focusing on specific types of development and specific areas.
The adopted Swindon Design Guide, due to its size, is available as a series of documents:
- Design guide - Flyer (PDF)
- Design Guide - Part 1a (PDF)
- Design Guide - Part 1b (PDF)
- Design Guide - Part 2 (PDF)
- Design Guide - Part 3 (PDF)
- Design Guide - Part 4a (PDF)
- Design Guide - Part 4b (PDF)
- Design guide - Part 4c (PDF)
- Design guide - Part 5 (PDF)
Shopfronts coding guidance
The Shopfronts Coding Guidance Note will be applied whenever planning consent is required for a new or amended shopfront.
- Shopfront Coding Guide (PDF)