Medical needs in schools and community settings

Local authorities and ICB's have duties to work together and make joint arrangements for children with special educational needs and disability.

BaNES, Swindon and Wiltshire local authorities and BSW ICB are committed to pursuing a policy of inclusive education with no one being unnecessarily denied access to school or other educational activities simply by virtue of having a medical condition. The Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) will work in liaison with the ICB and local authorities to support joint processes. 

This guidance is designed to ensure that children and young people who have health needs are able to have full access to an educational setting, including early years settings, schools and colleges.

It provides a framework for a consistent response to the health needs of children and young people in a confidential and respectful way to ensure that they have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of learning.

Supporting children who cannot attend school due to health needs

There is a requirement that each local authority publish a policy detailing standards, procedures and responsibilities for those pupils unable to attend school due to medical needs. In line with Section 19 of the Education Act 1996, a local authority has a duty to:

  • make arrangements for the provision of suitable education at school or otherwise than at school for those children of compulsory school age who, by reason of illness, or otherwise, may not for any period, receive suitable education unless such arrangements are made for them

Swindon local authority officers have worked with key partners to revise and update this policy that sets out the roles and responsibilities of the local authority, schools and the relevant alternative education service provider, Swindon Education other than at school (EOTAS).

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page