What businesses and organisations can do
Join others businesses across Swindon who are already taking action to reduce their emissions.
No matter how small your organisation or what industry you’re in, your commitment could make a real difference.
Many green actions pay for themselves. For example, data suggests many businesses can make back the cost of insulating their buildings within just a year. Acting on climate can also put you ahead of the pack, showing green credentials is increasingly a part of procurement requirements and data shows that greener businesses are likely to appeal to the ever-growing numbers of consumers who care about the environment.
Check out simple changes that can save you money and help you grow on the UK Business Climate Hub.
Although no two journeys towards sustainability look the same, there are a few things your organisation can start to consider to help you reduce your greenhouse gas emissions:
- Introduce a cycle to work scheme
- Insulate your buildings
- Minimise the waste from your products and packaging
- Switch to LED bulbs
- Install a smart meter
- Talk to your suppliers
- Electrify your vehicle fleet
- Install your own renewable electricity or heating
- Offset the carbon you can’t reduce
Find out more at the SME Climate Hub.
Commit to change
Pledge your commitment by signing up to the SME Climate Commitment. Not only will your business receive the support and resources needed to help you understand your emissions and how to tackle them, but you will also be recognised by the United Nations' Race to Zero campaign.
More tools and resources
- The SME Climate Hub and Oxford University have partnered together to produce a suite of resources to help small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) reduce their carbon emissions
- 12 steps to using less energy fromTarget 2030, is a Government initiative offering SMEs across Swindon a free site survey, report and presentation, analysing how your business uses energy
- Get involved in Business in the Community's Challenge 2030 initiative and access webinars and other useful resources
- More tools and resources are signposted by Business West
- The Federation of Small Businesses have created a sustainability hub to help small businesses shrink their carbon footprint
- Visit the SWLEP Growth Hub’s Sustainable Business portal for local news and events
- Promote within your organisation the Swindon walking and cycle maps, local cycling events and journey planner provided by Swindon Travel Choices
Apply for a national financial support scheme
Schemes currently available include:
- Workplace Charging Scheme. Get a voucher for installing charging points in your workplace. Vouchers cover up to 75% of purchase and installation costs, up to a maximum of £350 per charging point, and a maximum of 40 charging points per site.
- Plug-in Charging Grant Scheme. Grants are available to help pay for low-emission vehicles. These are worth up to £2,500 of the purchase price of a car. Eligible cars must cost less than £35,000. The grant will also pay for 35% of the purchase price for selected small vans, up to a maximum of £3000, and 35% of the purchase price for selected large vans, up to maximum of £6,000.
- Cycle to Work Scheme. Employees give up some of their income (salary sacrifice), in return for hiring bikes and cycling equipment. Any size business can operate a cycle to work scheme.
- Capital allowances claim scheme. You can claim enhanced capital allowances (a type of first year allowances) for buying energy- and water-efficient equipment for your business. This includes some cars with low CO2 emissions, energy saving equipment, water saving equipment, gas, biogas and hydrogen refuelling equipment and new zero-emission goods vehicles. You can claim on your tax return.
Speak to your bank or accountant about tailored green business finance
Many banks have specialised loans that can be used specifically for green improvements such as installing renewable energy system or improving energy efficiency.
Get inspired and inspire others
Has your organisation got any climate change success stories you want to share with other Swindon businesses to help inspire and motivate others?
We’d love to hear from you. Get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org