Apply for a direction sign
Direction signs may be permitted for some destinations that do not meet the criteria of a tourist facility or attraction for tourism signs. Where it will help to ensure the safe and efficient movement of traffic, direction signs may be permitted to destinations where there is evidence that visitors have reported problems in reaching their destination.
Applicants are advised that the following principles will apply:
- Destinations may be signed from the nearest A or B road only
- The purpose of direction signing is to safely guide visitors to a destination over the latter stages of their journey
- Signs will not be approved at locations where they are considered for promotional or advertisement purposes
- Direction signs must complement existing directions for visitors on the destination’s website or any promotional material
Swindon Borough Council can only authorise signs erected within the Borough.
Applicants must contact neighbouring authorities to confirm eligibility and seek authorisation for signs outside the Borough.
All costs associated with the provision of direction signs must be met by the applicant. Signs on the M4 and A419 are subject to authorisation from Highways England. Further information on their signing policies may be found on the Gov.uk website.
If you think your business would benefit from direction signs, there is a three stage process to be followed.
Stage 1: Initial Assessment
- Applicants will need to provide justification for direction signs
- Officers will assess the application and confirm or otherwise suitability of signs and appropriateness of desired sign locations
- A fee of £100 applies
Stage 2: Detailed Design
- A design of the signing scheme must be submitted in accordance with Department for Transport requirements including an index of all proposed signs
- Consideration must be given to road safety, environmental impact, traffic management
- A fee of £100 will be charged for each check of the submitted application until approval is given
Stage 3: Manufacture and Installation of Signs
- An approved contractor must be appointed to manufacture and erect the authorised signs on the highway
- All costs, including any necessary traffic management must be paid by the applicant
- A fee of £100 (+VAT) will be charged for the supervision of contractors on site
The Council may undertake the detailed design of the signing scheme and oversee the procurement and installation of the agreed signs at a fee of £400 (+VAT). This does not include manufacture and installation costs. The manufacture and installation of direction signs can cost upwards from £450.00.
The cost of replacing stolen or damaged signs will be charged to the applicant on the basis of Stages 2 and 3 above. If a destination chooses not to provide a replacement sign this could cause continuity problems and may result in the removal of all associated direction signs for the destination.
The costs of removing signs in the event of a destination ceasing to meet the requirements for direction signs will be recharged to the applicant.
How to apply
You can apply using the online form below. You will be asked to create a My Account prior to accessing the form.
Applicants should allow a minimum of 6 months for completion of the process.