Coronavirus (COVID-19) - What you need to know

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - main page

In April 2022 the government issued updated guidance on living safely with respiratory infections, including COVID-19.

However, there are still simple things you can do in your daily life that will help to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory infections and protect those at highest risk. To find out more visit: People with symptoms of a respiratory infection including COVID-19.

Note: This page reflects the status of services following changes to guidelines from 1 April 2022. The service descriptions will be updated here as decisions are made.

  • We encourage you to try to pay, report or apply for services online. Use the search bar at the top of the page to get started.
  • Customer Services reception on Princes Street is closed.
  • Our main telephone contact centre is open. Demand is higher than normal, so you may need to wait for a long time for us to answer your call. How to contact us if you can't do it online.

Our libraries are open as usual.

The Swindon Register Office is currently experiencing high demand for its services.

This is particularly for marriages and civil partnerships and we apologise if you are having difficulty getting through on the phone.

Please email for all non urgent enquiries or to check availability for ceremonies. We will endeavour to respond within five working days.

Please note that there is now a waiting time of two weeks for birth appointments and one month for notice of marriage/civil partnership appointments.

Death registrations

Death registrations are being done by telephone. The doctor and/or coroner will send the certification paperwork to us, and you will need to ring the Register Office on 01793 522738 to arrange a time for the Registrar to call you back.

The telephone registration will take approximately 30 minutes and you will have the opportunity to purchase certificates using a payment card.

Birth registrations

We can now offer appointments to register a birth.

Read more: Register a birth

For child benefit claims, you should contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

Notice appointments

You are now able to make an appointment to give notice of marriage if your ceremony is taking place within the next three months. Please call the Register Office on 01793 522738.

You may have given notice already and had to postpone your ceremony because of the coronavirus outbreak. If your ceremony has to be rearranged to take place after your authority to marry has expired, we will need to take your notice again. In these circumstances, and if the venue has not changed, we will waive the additional notice fee.

Weddings and ceremonies

Our ceremony rooms are now restored to full capacity.

  • The Register Office (Superintendent’s Office) - the couple plus two witnesses
  • The Juno Room - the couple plus up to 20 guests
  • The Garden Room - the couple plus up to 65 guests

We respectfully request that all visitors to the Register Office, excluding those getting married or forming a civil partnership, continue to wear face coverings and help to protect our staff and each other by maintaining a 2m distance from other people.

Citizenship ceremonies

Citizenship ceremonies are now in person at the Civic Offices. If you have received a letter from the Home Office advising you to contact the Register Office, please call us on 01793 522738 to arrange a date for your ceremony

If you have received a letter from the Home Office advising you to contact the Register Office, please call us on 01793 522738 to arrange a date for your ceremony.

Kingdown Crematorium and grounds are open for visitors.

The crematorium office has a reduced service and is only taking urgent enquiries in person or you will need to make an appointment. All other enquiries should be by telephone or e-mail.

Cremation services are taking place with no limit on numbers being able to attend. This also applies to burials.

More information at the webpage: Kingsdown Crematorium

All cemeteries (Kingsdown, Radnor Street and Whitworth Road) are open for visitors.

Service running as normal, but please avoid coming to the Civic Offices unless it's absolutely necessary. Instead, call 01793 445503.

If you have financial concerns with housing, see our webpage: COVID-19 - Support for council housing tenants

Service running as normal. However, please avoid visiting Customer Services reception on Princes Street unless it is absolutely necessary. Call 01793 445503 or email for homelessness assistance, including any concerns about your income/rent/mortgage, or if you have received an eviction notice.

If you are concerned about the welfare of a rough sleeper, contact us 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 01793 445503.

All our parks are open. Visitors must follow social distancing rules.

Opening times and parking information:

Lydiard Hotel is closed.

The cafes at Coate Water and Lydiard Park are open for takeaway service only.

Toilets at Lydiard Park, Coate Water, Stanton Park, and Barbury Castle are open with safety restrictions in place.

We are working hard to ensure the continuation of the service, but please bear with us, as there are currently delays in registering and determining applications. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to respond to general queries and enquiries sent to the planning enquiries inbox.

Please refer to the guide to planning pages for more information.

If you are submitting a planning (or related) application, we recommend you do so electronically or by email to

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Types of coronavirus tests:

If you have symptoms:

You can get a book a free test on GOV.UK or by calling NHS 119. However, from 1 April 2022, the Government will no longer provide free universal symptomatic and asymptomatic testing for the general public in England. Limited symptomatic testing will be available for a small number of at-risk groups.

If you don't have symptoms:

From 1 April 2022, the Government will no longer provide free universal symptomatic and asymptomatic testing for the general public in England. Full guidance on testing can be found on Testing for coronavirus (COVID-19)

Anyone aged 5 or over can get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Pop-up vaccination clinics

We are holding walk-in clinics for anyone aged 5+ at all our clinics below:

Sanford House, Sanford Street, Swindon, SN1 1HE

  • Friday, 10 February from 9.00am to 4.45 pm
  • Saturday, 11 February from 10.00am to 3.45pm
  • Tuesday, 14 February from 8.00am to 3.45pm
  • Tuesday, 21 February from 10.00am to 5.45pm
  • Tuesday, 28 February from 8.00am to 3.45pm
  • Tuesday, 7 March from 10.00am to 5.45pm
  • Tuesday, 14 March from 8.00am to 3.45pm
  • Tuesday, 21 March from 10.00am to 5.45pm
  • Tuesday, 28 March from 8.00am to 3.45pm

The Underground, Orbital Shopping Park, Thamesdown Drive, Swindon, SN25 4AN

  • Saturday, 4 February from 10.00am to 5.45pm

Ellendune Community Centre, Barrett Way, Wroughton, Swindon, SN4 9LW

  • Wednesday, 8 February from 2.00pm to 5.45pm

St Johns Church, Whitbourne Avenue, Swindon, SN3 2GD

  • Thursday, 9 February from 1.00pm to 4.45pm

You can also find a walk-in vaccination site on the NHS website.

While you’re no longer legally required to self-isolate if you have COVID-19, you should try to stay at home and away from others to avoid passing on the virus.

More information on the NHS website:

Supporting our waste crews

Our waste teams are currently doing their best to keep as many collections running as possible. You can help us by:

Unfortunately, scammers and rogue traders will always prey on people’s fears. We encourage people to stay vigilant and look out for each other to avoid anyone becoming a victim of a scam.

Potential coronavirus scams include:

  • Bogus doorstep calls offering shopping services or taking funding for a vaccine
  • Phone calls asking for money or offering money in relation to coronavirus
  • E-mails offering investment schemes, coronavirus information or financial support, often looking like government departments like HMRC
  • Overpricing for products in short supply
  • Loan sharks looking to take advantage of people in difficult financial situations

If you have any minor repairs that need fixing, you can ease the burden on our housing repairs team by attempting to resolve minor issues yourself. We have a number of how-to videos that may help you do this.  

We have been working with Swindon SEND Families Voice during the pandemic to answer a set of frequently asked questions supporting children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.

Answers to the FAQs include, for example, advice and guidance on how best to support well-being and updates specifically in relation to service delivery.

The FAQs will continue to be updated on the Swindon Local Offer website.

At the moment it can be hard to know what to do if you're unwell or have a concern about your health.

It's important to:

  • get medical help if you think you need it
  • keep any appointments or procedures you have booked – unless you’re told not to go
  • go to hospital if you’re advised to

NHS services have made changes to make sure it's safe for you to be seen during coronavirus. There are also ways to get medical help and prescriptions online or over the phone.

More information: NHS website - Using the NHS and other health services during coronavirus

During the coronavirus pandemic, it is now more important than ever to quit smoking.

ASH (Action on Smoking and Health) are leading the #QuitforCovid campaign. There are many health and financial benefits to quitting smoking, but now more than ever quitting means you can:

  • Reduce the likelihood of complications from COVID-19
  • Protect the health of others. Exposure to second hand smoke also increases the risk of complications from respiratory infections.
  • Reduce the burden on the NHS. Stopping smoking brings immediate health benefits particularly to the heart and lungs.

Visit Today is the Day for more information on smoking and coronavirus.

There is also a Twitter account @QuitforCovid which has been set up to support people to stop smoking. Every day between 7.30pm and 8.30pm a quit clinic is hosted by a health expert to provide advice and support for people who would like to quit.

Why is it important?

  • Emerging evidence from China has revealed that smokers with COVID-19 are 14 times more likely to develop severe respiratory disease.
  • Smoking tobacco is known to damage the lungs and airways causing a range of severe respiratory problems.
  • The evidence clearly shows COVID-19 virus attacks the respiratory system, which explains why smokers are at greater risk.
  • In addition, the repetitive hand-to-mouth movement provides an easy route of entry for the virus, putting smokers at greater risk of contracting COVID-19.

Useful links and resources:

Reports of domestic abuse have increased nationally during the pandemic.

Anyone suffering from domestic abuse can seek support from the council or the police, who will make sure that person is safe.

If you, someone you know, or someone you know of is experiencing domestic abuse, help is always available. In an emergency, always dial 999. If it is not an emergency, you can contact the Swindon Domestic Abuse Support Service 24-hour helpline on 01793 610610, or call Wiltshire Police on 101.

If you need help urgently, but are too scared or unable to make a noise or speak, you can:

  1. Dial 999
  2. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
  3. Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can
  4. If prompted, press 55. This lets the 999 call operator know it's a genuine emergency

You can access safer spaces at Boots pharmacies consultation rooms, where you can contact specialist domestic abuse services for support and advice. For more information on this part of the new 'UK SAYS NO MORE' campaign, visit the Hestia website.

More help and guidance on domestic abuse

GOV.UK publishes data about COVID-19 cases and deaths:

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page