Get advice on landscape and countryside management

The Swindon Borough Council Landscape and Countryside Service provide advice and guidance on all aspects of landscape, arboriculture and countryside management.

The service is split into three main areas:

  • Landscape
  • Community Forest
  • Arboriculture

Supporting countryside initiatives

In its support of a number of countryside initiatives, the Council is also represented on a number of bodies and where appropriate provides grant aid to those bodies as follows:

  • Wilts and Berks Canal Partnership
  • Wiltshire and Swindon Biological Records
  • British Trust for Conservation Volunteers
  • Great Western Community Forest

For further information, please contact:

Tel: 07769 281784 

Advice for development control planners

Landscape Architects from the Landscape and Countryside Service comment on any planning application in which there is a significant landscape impact, offering technical advice to our Planning Officers and negotiating with Developers to ensure the highest possible standard of landscape design throughout the borough. As the planning application progresses, the landscape architects assist in negotiating payments under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act.

Known as 'Section 106 Agreements', these agreements are invaluable in securing funding from Developers to finance play areas and additional landscape works.

Planning enquiries

Landscape Architects often represent Swindon Borough Council when they appear as expert witnesses at planning enquiries when a developer has appealed against the refusal of planning permission.

Great Western Community Forest

The Great Western Community Forest (GWCF) is one of England's Community Forests where local people and organisations are working together to create a better environment.

It covers an area of 168 square miles stretching from Wootton Bassett to Faringdon and the North Wessex Downs to the Thames.

The project is an exciting partnership between a wide range of local and regional organisations from the public, private and voluntary sectors which work together to deliver a comprehensive package of urban, economic and social regeneration.

GWCF is creating high-quality environments for local people by diversifying land-use, revitalising derelict landscapes, enhancing biodiversity and providing new opportunities for leisure, recreation, cultural activity, education, healthy living and social and economic development.

GWCF plays a crucial role in contributing to sustainable development in Swindon, the urban fringes and in the varied and beautiful surrounding countryside.

The Community Forest works closely with local people and enjoys strong community support.

Our project activities provide local communities with many occasions to make decisions regarding improvements in their neighbourhood and to take ownership of their environment.

For further information, please contact:

Great Western Community Forest
Swindon Borough Council
Wat Tyler House
Beckhampton Street

Tel: 01793 466322


Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.