Tell us once service

When someone has died, we can help you tell the people who need to know. To make things easier for you, when you register a death in Swindon, you can also choose to let Swindon Registration and Celebratory Service inform a number of government departments and local council services through the Tell Us Once service.

How it works

We will ask you to bring information about the deceased to the appointment then, with your permission, we will pass it on to the Department for Work and Pensions. They will then inform other government departments and local council services as applicable. We can do this for you at the time of your appointment, or you can contact the Department for Work and Pensions direct within the following 30 days either by phone or on-line.

How to use the service

In person

We are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm and Thursdays 9.00am to 7.30pm to make an appointment to register the death. You will be given details about how Tell Us Once works and what you need to bring to the registration appointment.


You must register the death at the Register Office first. At the appointment you will be given a unique reference number which you can then enter as directed at the Government website.

The following information video will help guide you through the process:

What to bring when registering a death

To use the Tell Us Once Service, when you attend your registration appointment please bring the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth, along with that of their spouse if applicable.
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving e.g. state pension, blue badge etc
  • Their driving license or driving license number
  • Their passport or passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for the following:

  • Their next of kin
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate
  • Anyone who is receiving child benefit on their behalf

You must have the permission of the people listed above if you are not the next of kin and you are going to provide us with information about them.

What we will do with the information

If you choose to use the Tell Us Once Service, we will report the death to these services and government departments if applicable.

  • The Local Authority or Council where the deceased normally lived.
  • Housing benefit
  • Council tax support
  • Council tax
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Library services
  • Electoral services
  • Blue badges
  • Adult services
  • Council housing
  • Department for Work and Pensions – including the Pension, Disability and Carers Service; Jobcentre Plus and the Overseas Health Team
  • HM Revenue and Customs – about child benefit; child tax credit and working tax credit; and personal taxation
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency - the War Pensions Scheme

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page