Online applications

Due to a technical problem, you may not be able to upload files if they are needed to support an online application. We are attempting to fix this issue and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Look for childcare

Childminders are self-employed to offer childcare in their own homes (rather than in the child's home). Most offer services to both under fives and school-aged children, although some specialise in a particular age group.

They are registered and inspected by Ofsted.

Many parents choose a childminder as they need additional flexibility due to their work patterns or so that their child will be cared for in a small group in a home environment.

Childminders choose their own working hours but, in Swindon, they're strongly encouraged to offer flexible services to parents including:

  • early mornings
  • late evenings
  • overnight stays
  • weekends
  • bank holidays
  • times to accommodate shift patterns

Home childcarers

These differ from childminders as they are registered by Ofsted to provide childcare in the child's home.

Parents employing a home childcarer have responsibilities as employers, for matters such as appropriate insurance and PAYE.

Further information

If you are looking for information about how to become a registered childminder in Swindon, please see the 'Childminders - start up' page on the schoolsonline website.

If  you are looking for a local childcare provider, visit our Family Information Directory.

Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.