Storm Dennis disruption

A yellow weather warning is in place for Storm Dennis for Saturday 15 Feb to Sunday 16 Feb. Visit our webpages for information on disruption to council services

Information on council services

Apply for a pavement café licence

You will require a pavement cafe (highway amenity) licence if you intend setting up a cafe, bar or restaurant on a public pavement in the Borough of Swindon. You do not require a licence if you intend to set up the facility on private land, for example, not a designated highway.

To apply, you will require the following:

  • Planning Permission
  • A copy of a certificate of Public Liability Insurance for £5 million

Pavement cafe licence application form (PDF)

The fee depends on the size of the area being used and the period:

Band  Area

 Annual Fee
(1 May-30 April)

 Seasonal Fee
(1 April-30 Sept)
 1  Up to 10 sq metres  £781  £388
 2  10-20 sq metres  £1527  £809
 3  Over 20 sq metres  £2274  £1182

The licence must be renewed every year.

There is a special annual fee of £100 for charities, regardless of the area involved.

There are additional charges for Patio Heaters.

Pay for a pavement cafe licence online

Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.