Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updates on council services, health advice, and support available for residents and businesses.

Apply for a dropped kerb licence

A dropped kerb (sometimes called a vehicle crossing) is a kerb that is lowered to allow a vehicle to cross over the pavement and onto a driveway.

You need a licence from the council to construct a dropped kerb outside a residential or commercial property.

You also need to:

  • check if you need planning permission
  • make sure your driveway meets dropped kerb standards
  • contact an approved contractor to construct the dropped kerb

Planning permission

You need to check if you need planning permission before your contractor constructs a dropped kerb. 

For example, you’ll need planning permission if:

  • your property is divided into flats
  • your property is in a conservation area and you’d need to remove a gate pillar, wall or fence that’s over one metre high
  • you need structural work to make the parking area
  • the dropped kerb is going to be installed on an A, B or C class road

We'll issue an enforcement notice if you install a dropped kerb without the required planning permission.

We may refuse permission for a dropped kerb if it would cause a road safety risk. This might be because: 

  • there's not enough visibility of oncoming traffic
  • the property is on a bend or road junction, or close to traffic lights
  • there’s not enough space for a vehicle 
  • a street lamp or street furniture such as a post box, road sign or bench is in the way
  • there’s a steep slope between the property and the road

Driveway standards

You can only construct a dropped kerb at your property if the driveway meets the correct standards.


The length of the driveway must be at least 5 metres. This is measured from the edge of the pavement that's closest to the driveway to the edge of the property.

The width of the driveway must be at least 2.5 metres.

Construction materials

The driveway must be made from porous asphalt, porous concrete blocks, concrete or clay block permeable paving. It should be laid on a sub-base of materials such as 4/20 or Type 3.

If the driveway has been constructed with loose gravel, we also require the first metre from highway onto the driveway to be constructed in a hard standing material. This helps to stop loose stones from going onto the highway.


The driveway must have suitable drainage where it meets the highway boundary. 

This should be across the boundary of the driveway to stop any surface water runoff before it reaches the highway.


You can choose any contractor to complete the work, as long as they meet the appropriate standards. We advise you to choose a contractor registered on the Buy With Confidence scheme. If they are not registered, you will also need to provide the following when you apply:

  • name of company
  • company address
  • a copy of the contractor’s Street Works Qualifications Register (SWQR) supervisory card
  • a copy of the contractor’s public liability insurance certificate for at least £5m

Any contractor must also:

Before the contractor starts the work, you should see evidence that they have a licence to excavate the highway. Work done under this licence is covered by the contractor for a maintenance period of two years.

It is your responsibility to make sure your contractor has this licence. If the contractor constructs the dropped kerb without it, we will not be able to provide you with evidence of the legality of your vehicle crossing.

Completion of work

After we confirm your licence to construct a dropped kerb, the contractor must complete the work within 12 months. If they don't, you will have to apply again.

Apply for a dropped kerb licence


Please note the application fee is non-refundable. The licence fee is:

  • £132 for residential properties
  • £174 for commercial properties

You should apply for the licence and make your payment straight afterwards using the reference number we provide. We will process your application after we have received payment.


Give feedback about this page

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?