Apply for an alcohol and entertainment personal licence

A Personal Licence is required by any person responsible for the sale or supply of alcohol, unless they are operating a bar with a Temporary Event Notice. The premises must also be separately covered by a Premises Licence.

Swindon Borough Council's Licensing Statement (PDF) provides a clear indication of what the Licensing Committee thinks is important (in terms of the Licensing Act 2003), and what the 'flavour' of licensing is in Swindon.

Anyone over the age of 18 is automatically entitled to a Personal Licence upon application, provided that they have been properly trained and pass a police check. Local colleges run regular courses, and they are widely available elsewhere. Personal Licences are valid for 10 years.

How to apply

In addition to the application form, you will also need to supply evidence of your qualification and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. The application should also include a criminal convictions statement, which is in addition to the DBS check. You will also need to supply two passport-sized photos, one of which must be endorsed as a true likeness by a witness.

To request a form, contact the licensing department at or on 01793 466331.

Send the form to:

Customer Services
Swindon Borough Council
Civic Offices
Euclid Street

The fee for a licence is £37.

How to pay

Pay for a Personal Licence online


Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.