Parks and open spaces in Swindon - Coate Water
- Coate Water Country Park has a 56-acre reservoir built in the 1820s as a headwater tank for the Wiltshire and Berkshire Canal. In the 1970s a smaller lake was created as a flood storage lagoon, which was made Wiltshire's first Local Nature Reserve (LNR) in 1976. Most of the site and all the water have been declared a Site of Specific Scientific Interest (SSSI) in order to protect the wildlife and wildflower meadows.
Coate Water Country Park is open 365 days of the year, 24 hours per day.
The following facilities are available:
- Ranger centre and information point
- Car park (pay and display) or find out about car parking season tickets
- Splash Park (seasonal)
- Play area
- Nature reserve
- Barbeque hire
- Dogs are welcome but are restricted in some areas of the park
- How to get there
- Coate Water Country Park is situated on the south-east side of Swindon.
- Contact details
The Ranger Centre
Coate Water Country Park
Tel: 01793 490150