Swindon Virtual School
What is a Virtual School and what is its purpose?
The Virtual School does not exist in real terms as a building, and children and young people do not attend. They remain the responsibility of the school at which they are enrolled.
The Virtual School works in partnership with the child or young person’s school/educational setting to ensure that they are supported to fulfil their potential at all stages of their education, and to give them the best opportunity to be successful in their adult lives. Whilst looked after children attend different schools/settings across Swindon and in other local authorities, the Virtual School monitors their attendance, attainment and achievement, and makes sure that their educational success is a top priority in their care planning.
Children who are looked after attract additional funding to support the targets or outcomes set out in their Personal Education Plans (PEPs). This is called Pupil Premium Plus and is administered by the Headteacher of the Virtual School.
How to contact the Virtual School team
Our team includes staff from a range of services working together to promote and support the education of children in care. Please contact us using the below information.
Telephone: 01793 464335
Headteacher Swindon Virtual School
Lead Consultant Swindon Virtual School
How we support children in care and care leavers
Information for carers, social workers and elected members
- Guidance for social workers - The PEP process (Doc)
- Foster carers and Swindon virtual school for children looked after (Doc)
- Attachment behaviours and what you might do (PDF)
- Virtual school attachment guidance (PDF)
- Questions for social workers to ask at PEP meetings (PDF)
Information for schools, settings and governors
- Welfare Call ePEP portal
- DFE guidance - Who are looked after children (Doc)
- The PEP process - A guide for designated teachers (Doc)
- Swindon virtual school - Guidance for LAC (Doc)
- Swindon virtual school - Register of children looked after (Doc)
- Designated teacher annual report to the Governing Board template (Doc)
- Swindon virtual school checklist for designated teachers (Doc)
- Swindon virtual school children looked after information for Governing Board (Doc)
- Swindon virtual school checklist for Governors (Doc)
- Model policy for the education of children looked after in Schools and settings (PDF)
- Swindon virtual school pupil premium toolkit (PDF)
- Teaching and learning interventions (PDF)
- Swindon virtual school trauma guide (PDF)
- Guidance for schools on reduced timetables (PDF)
- Information on the Decision to Look After and Care Planning (Website)
- Information on Ceasing to Look After a Child (Website)