New eastern villages
The New Eastern Villages (NEV), with a total site area of 724 hectares, is the largest of Swindon’s strategic growth areas. It will comprise 8,000 homes, new District Centre, 40ha of employment and associated health, retail, education and leisure facilities.
The area was initially identified as the most sustainable location for a large scale mixed-use development with potential for up to 12,000 homes to comply with the Regional Spatial Strategy for the South West.
In line with the overall reduction in the housing requirement in the Borough as a whole, a lower level of development is included in the adopted Swindon Local Plan (March 2015) which is more deliverable in the period to 2026, and better reflects local views gathered during extensive consultation over a number of years.
The NEV is designed to be of significant scale to deliver essential shared infrastructure to mitigate the impacts of development and to maximise benefits for both the new and existing communities. The District Centre and new secondary school will be particularly important in establishing a sense of place, and reducing pressures on existing facilities in Swindon.
- Current Masterplan (PDF)
- Local Plan Board (PDF)
- Strategic Context Board (PDF)
- General Comments consultation response (PDF)
There are six upcoming transport schemes that are being prioritised for delivery and are at various stages in the design and build process.
Greenbridge roundabout improvements
- Greenbridge roundabout improvements (PDF)
- Greenbridge traffic management plan (PDF)
- Greenbridge FAQs (PDF)
Southern connector road
- Southern Connector Road - indicative route (PDF)
- Southern Connector Road FAQs (PDF)
- Southern Connector Road consultation response (PDF)
Great Stall Bridge
- A420 Improvements - preliminary proposals (PDF)
- A420 FAQs (PDF)
- A420 Corridor consultation response (PDF)
White Hart junction
- White Hart Roundabout - Part Signalised Roundabout (PDF)
- White Hart Junction FAQs (PDF)
- White Hart Junction consultation response (PDF)