Social care in Swindon

What does children's social care involve?

Cheerful boy at a care facility for children with special educational needs

Supporting and protecting vulnerable children is one of the most important roles played by councils as we want to make sure all children are safe, cared for and able to thrive. Children’s social care services (often just called ‘social services’) support children and young people who need it most – children who are disabled, those who need to be protected from harm, or ‘looked after children’ who cannot live with their own families.

Demand for these services continues to rise in Swindon and across the country. Examples of children’s social care services include:

  • Providing foster carers to look after children and young people who can’t stay with their own family for a range of reasons. This can either be temporary or permanent care
  • The Youth Justice Service, which aims to prevent children and young people from breaking the law and to help prevent them from re-offending
  • Protecting children from harm such as sexual exploitation

Children’s social care services support children with the greatest need – children who are disabled, who have to be protected from harm, or who need to be placed in residential or foster care. The 2004 Children Act places a legal duty on local authorities for ensuring and overseeing the effective delivery of services for children, working closely with other organisations. Our Children’s Services teams, often in partnership with other agencies, work with families who need support and advice.

A member of our Children’s Social Care team might:

  • Provide immediate help if needed
  • Carry out an assessment of a child or family’s needs
  • Sign-post to support from specialist organisations that are best-placed to help  

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page