Funded childcare and early education for two-year-olds

Your two-year-old child can get free childcare and early education if you get one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit - if you and your partner have a combined income from work of £15,400 or less a year, after tax
  • Tax Credits - if you have an income of £16,190 or less a year, before tax
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

A two-year-old child can also get free childcare and early education if they:

  • are looked after by Swindon Borough Council
  • have special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan (EHCP)
  • get Disability Living Allowance
  • have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

A child can get free childcare and early education from the term after their second birthday. However, you may have to pay for optional extra costs such as meals, nappies or trips.

You can use our directory to find childcare providers in your area.  You need to click the 'details' button to check what age group and funding type a provider covers.

Find childcare providers

If you are a non-EEA Citizen with no recourse to public funds, you may still be eligible providing you meet the income threshold below:

  • £26,500 for families outside London with one child
  • £30,600 for families outside London with two families
  • Savings not above £16,000

If you believe your child is eligible for the free childcare and early education, you can apply using the online form below:

Early years application form

Alternatively, you can e-mail EY& We will respond to your e-mail within five working days.

You can also phone our Early Years Engagement Officer on 07812 759534.

Further information

You can find more information about childcare and early education on childcare choices and also on our new expanded entitlements webpage.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page