Privacy Notices - SEND transport support Privacy Notice
As part of the application process for SEND travel assistance, Swindon Borough Council collects personal data relating to the applicant and the subject of the application. We are committed to being transparent how we collect and use data, and meeting or data protection obligations. We will not collect unnecessary information as part of this process.
- What is a Privacy Notice?
A Privacy Notice is a statement issued by an organisation which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared.
- Who is collecting and using your personal data?
Swindon Borough Council is the data controller. The data controller decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
- Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”).
- What personal data do we collect?
Data collected about the data subject:
- Name, date of birth, age range, gender, address
- EHCP status, school, equipment requirements, wheelchair user status, details of special educational needs, details of medical needs
Data collected about the applicant:
- Name, address, telephone number, relationship to data subject
- How do we process your personal data?
Swindon Borough Council complies with its obligations under the GDPR. This means it keeps personal data up to date; stores and destroys it securely; does not collect or retain excessive amounts of data; protects it from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure; ensures that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect it.
- Why do we need your personal information?
We need your information to:
- contact you about your application by telephone or e-mail
- determine if the subject of your application is eligible for SEND travel assistance
- How the law allows us to use your information?
In accordance with article 6 of the GDPR, data processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller.
- Who do we share your information with?
Your information will only be shared outside of Swindon Borough Council with external transport operators when this is appropriate. Your personal data will not be shared with any other parties outside of Swindon Borough Council except to prevent fraud or if required to do so by law.
- How do we protect your information?
We take the security of your personal data seriously. We have internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your personal data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties.
- How long do we keep your personal information?
Your data will be kept for 10 years after the year in which you submit your application. This is in accordance with the Borough Council Data Retention and Disposal policy.
- What you can do with your information?
Unless subject to an exemption under GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Swindon Borough Council holds about you
- The right to request that Swindon Borough Council corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date
- The right to request that your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Swindon Borough Council to retain it
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing
- The right to object to the processing of personal data
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office
- Your right to complain
For further details on how your information is used, how we maintain the security of your information, and your rights to access information we hold on you please contact email@example.com or contact the Data Protection Officer at:
Swindon Borough Council
- What if you do not provide personal data?
If you do not provide the data requested, then we will be unable to progress and make decisions on your application for SEND travel assistance.
- How will we ensure compliance?
A yearly audit will take place on personal data to ensure that we remain legally compliant in accordance with current data protection legislation.
- Main privacy notice
You are viewing the Privacy Notice for a SEND transport support.