Privacy Notices - Reporting of fly-tipping Privacy Notice


You need to be aware of this privacy notice if you are making a report about fly-tipping via the council’s website and you choose to give us your details.

What is a Privacy Notice?

A Privacy Notice is a statement, which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared.

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council will act as a “Data Controller” for any personal data that you provide to us.  We will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations. (GDPR)

To find out more about Swindon Borough Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer by email: or in writing to:

Data Protection Officer
Civic Offices
Euclid Street

Your personal data – what is it?

Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of data is governed by the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”).

What personal data do we collect?

Swindon Borough Council will only collect data about you when reporting fly-tipping if you choose to share your details with us.
If you make a report to us, we will hold the information you provide to us securely and use it to help us process your report. We will also let you know if we need more information from you as your report progresses.

We only process information that is relevant to your report.

Personal data will be stored on our IT systems, including our Customer Relationship Management and email systems.

How do we process your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.

Why do we need your personal information?

You are not obliged to give us your personal data when reporting fly-tipping, but if you choose to share it, we may then use it to contact you for further information, a witness statement, photos which may include identifiable information, or feedback.

How the law allows us to use your information?

There are a number of legal, legitimate or lawful reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information including:

  • The Environmental Protection Act 1990

If we have consent to use your personal information, you have the right to remove it at any time.

If you want to remove your consent, contact and tell us which service you are using so we can deal with your request.

Who do we share your information with?

Where we can, we will only collect, share and use personal information if we need it to deliver a service, fulfil a service requirement, or meet our statutory and legal obligations.

If we do not need personal information, we will either, keep you anonymised if we already have it for something else, or we will not ask you for it.

We do not sell your personal information to anyone else.  

How do we protect your information?

We take the security of your data seriously. We will do what we can to make sure we hold records about you (on paper and electronically) in a secure way, and we will only make them available to those who have a right to see them. We have internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed. We also make sure our employees only access your data in the proper performance of their duties.

How long do we keep your personal information?

Your information will be kept for up to 7 years following the year in which you make a report to us.

What you can do with your information?

The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how it is used by us.
You can ask for access to the information we hold on you.

We would normally expect to share what we record about you with you whenever we assess your needs or provide you with services. However, you also have the right to ask for a copy of all the information we have about you and the services you receive from us. When we receive a request from you in writing, we must give you access to everything we have recorded about you, however, we cannot let you see any parts of your records that contain:

  • confidential information about other people
  • data a professional thinks will cause serious harm to you or someone else’s physical or mental wellbeing
  • information that we think giving you,  may stop us from preventing or detecting a crime

This applies to personal information that is in both paper and electronic records. If you ask us, we will also let others see your record (except if one of the points above applies).

If you cannot ask for your records in writing, we will make sure there are other ways that you can:

  • If you have any queries about access to your information contact
  • You can ask to change information you think is inaccurate
  • You should let us know if you disagree with something written on your file. We may not always be able to change or remove that information but we will correct factual inaccuracies and may include your comments in the record to show that you disagree with it.
Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon Borough Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaint procedure.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

This website also contains information on data protection and your rights and remedies.

What if you do not provide personal data?

You are under no statutory obligation to provide personal data to Swindon Borough Council; however, if you do not provide the data, we may not be able to process your report properly or at all.

How will we ensure compliance?

A yearly audit will take place on personal data to ensure that we remain legally compliant in accordance with current data protection legislation.

Main privacy notice

You are viewing the Privacy Notice for the reporting of fly-tipping

Read the main Privacy Notice