Privacy Notices - Swindon Library and Information Service room hire and space bookings Privacy Notice
- What is a Privacy Notice?
A ‘Privacy Notice’ is a statement issued by an organisation which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared.
- Who is collecting and using your personal data?
This notice sets out the basis on which Swindon Library and Information Service collects and uses the personal data of our people who book rooms and /or space for exhibitions and displays in a Swindon Library.
Swindon Library and Information Service is run by Swindon Borough Council and consists of five core libraries: Central Library, North Swindon Library, Highworth Library, Park Library and West Swindon Library.
Swindon Library & Information Service shall process your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018.
- Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”).
- What personal data do we collect?
- Contact details (address including postcode, email address, telephone number/s)
- Details of Public liability insurance if held
- Equality data - to enable the Council to manage its legal requirements under the Equality Act 2010 (Public Sector Equality Duty)
- Payment card details
- CCTV images of you
We collect the personal information we hold about you:
- Via our online form requesting room hire or exhibition space
- From Public liability details supplied by you
- In person at our Swindon Library branches
- In the course of providing our services to you: for example, bookings for room hire/exhibitions, responses to information enquiries about the same or attendance at events.
- How do we process your personal data?
Swindon Borough Council complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data:
- up to date
- by storing it securely
- by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data
- by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure
- and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data
- Why do we need your personal information?
We need your personal data to allow us to make bookings for room hire or exhibition space hire. The situations in which we will process your personal information are listed below.
- to give you access to library buildings
- to administer bookings for rooms and exhibition space
- to respond to your enquiries
- to deal with any claims that may arise as a result of a room booking or space hire
- record paperwork for health and safety should any incidents/accidents occur at or/because of a room hire or display booking made by you
- for the detection and prevention of crime and to protect library staff and library users
- How the law allows us to use your information?
There are a number of legal, legitimate or lawful reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information.
Generally we collect and use personal information in circumstances where:
- you have entered into a contract with us
- it is necessary to perform our statutory duties
- it is necessary to protect someone in an emergency
- It is needed in the event of a claim following an incident or accident
- it is required by law
If we have consent to use your personal information, you have the right to request its removal at any time.
- Who do we share your information with?
We may share your personal data, including CCTV images, with other Swindon Borough Council Departments, or the Police.
- How do we protect your information?
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed.
In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees and third parties (named above) who have a business need to know when providing services to Swindon Library and Information Service. All parties will only process your personal information on our instructions and in accordance with obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
- How long do we keep your personal information?
In broad terms, we will only retain your personal data for as long as is necessary for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. This means that the retention periods will vary according to the type of the data and the reason that we have collected your data in the first place.
We have procedures in place regarding our retention periods which we keep under review taking into account our reasons for processing your personal data and the legal basis for doing so.
All information relating to financial transactions is held for up to 7 years in line with Swindon Borough Council’s Retention Policy.
- What you can do with your information?
You can ask for access to the information we hold on you
When we receive a request from you in writing, we must give you access to everything we have recorded about you, however, we cannot let you see any parts of your records that contain:
- confidential information about other people
- data a professional thinks will cause serious harm to you or someone else’s physical or mental wellbeing; or
- if we think that giving you the information may stop us from preventing or detecting a crime
This applies to personal information that is in both paper and electronic records. If you ask us, we will also let others see your record (except if one of the points above applies).
If you cannot ask for your records in writing, we will make sure there are other ways that you can.
If you have any queries about access to your information contact DataProtection@Swindon.gov.uk.
- Your right to complain
Swindon Borough Council will act as a “Data Controller” for any personal data that you provide to us. We will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations. (GDPR)
To find out more about Swindon Borough Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer. email@example.com or in writing to Data Protection Officer, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 2JH.
- What if you do not provide personal data?
Please note that not providing your personal data may lead to you being unable to hire a room or book exhibition or display space in the library.
- How will we ensure compliance?
A yearly audit will take place on personal data to ensure that we remain legally compliant in accordance with current data protection legislation.
- Main privacy notice
You are viewing the Privacy Notice for Swindon Library and Information Service room hire and space bookings