Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updates on council services, health advice, and support available for residents and businesses.

Privacy Notices - Mental Capacity Act (MCA) Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Summary Privacy Notice


Swindon Borough Council (SBC) MCA/DoLS team collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

What is a Privacy Notice?

This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect, how we use and may share information about you.  We are required to give you this information under data protection law.

What personal data do we collect?

In the course of working with you, and administering the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards process, we may collect the following personal information when you provide it to us.

Personal data

  • Personal information e.g: your name, address, telephone number, date of birth
  • Contact details for members of your family and support network
  • Information about your finances, e.g. bank details, income, benefits

Special categories of personal data

  • Information about your racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical belief and your sexual orientation
  • Information about health conditions or disabilities that may apply to you
  • Information about you and your circumstances
  • Information about relevant health and safety concerns
  • Information about your needs and wishes
How do we process your personal data?

In the course of working with you, we may collect information from, or share it, with some other third parties.

Why do we need your personal information?

We use your personal information to create a secure and comprehensive record of all of the work that we do with and for you and the sharing of information facilitates a joined up approach with partner agencies.

We use your personal information to arrange short/long term care solutions, and to work with you or your representative to create a Safeguarding Plan to endeavour to keep you safe from harm.

How the law allows us to use your information?

We have a statutory basis for collecting your personal data, we do not need to ask for your permission to collect and share it, however we will only ever share your data on a basis of need, in line with legislation and will work transparently with you at all times.

Who do we share your information with?

We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.

How do we protect your information?

We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way.

How long do we keep your personal information?

Records will be retained for no longer than 20 years from the last involvement with adult social care, before being securely destroyed.

What you can do with your information?

For further information about your rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the guidance from the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) on individuals’ rights under GDPR on the ICO Website

See full Local Safeguarding Adult Board Privacy Notice on the Swindon Borough Council website . We have a Data Protection Officer who makes sure we respect your rights and follow the law. If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your information or how you can access it, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer, at  or by calling 01793 445500 and asking to speak to the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon Borough Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaints procedure.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at . You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane


This website also contains information on data protection and your rights and remedies.

What if you do not provide personal data?

If you do not provide your data, it will limit the effectiveness of the services and support that we are able to offer you.

Main privacy notice

You are viewing the Privacy Notice for MCA/DoLS Summary.

Read the main Privacy Notice