Privacy Notices - Non-Residential Care Services Contribution Form Privacy Notice


You need to be aware of this Privacy Notice if you are making an application for a financial assessment for non-residential care fees

What is a Privacy Notice?

A Privacy Notice is a statement issued by an organisation which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council will act as a “Data Controller” for any personal data that you provide to us.  We will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations. (GDPR)

To find out more about Swindon Borough Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer. or in writing to Data Protection Officer, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 2JH.

Please note that not providing your personal data may lead to you being  held liable for the full cost of your care and support fees.

Your personal data – what is it?

Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”).

What personal data do we collect?

The type of data we will need to collect in order to assess your contribution towards your care and support cost at home typically include the following:

  • Your personal details, including name, address, date of birth and national insurance number and contact details, for example, telephone numbers and email address
  • Your Partner’s details, including name, address, date of birth, national insurance number and contact details, for example, telephone numbers and email address
  • Details of any other adult members of your household including name, relationship and national insurance number
  • Household income, including your benefits, occupational pensions and earnings
  • Your’s and your partner’s Capital, including investments, for example, bonds and shares and savings, for example, bank and building society accounts
  • Details of any property in which you have a beneficial interest
  • Details of any properties you have sold or transferred
  • Details of any ongoing expenditure
  • Details of your legal representative, including name, address, contact details and their legal capacity

We will also require documentary evidence such as bank statements and benefit notification letters to confirm the financial information supplied on the application form.

How do we process your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.

Why do we need your personal information?

We will need to use some information about you to:

  • calculate your contribution towards your care and support fees and review your contribution where there is a change in your finances
  • deliver any other services and support to you
  • manage those services we provide to you
  • train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
  • help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your services
  • help with the prevention and detection of fraud and other crimes
  • to help with the provision of statistical analysis of services
How the law allows us to use your information?

It is necessary to allow us to perform our statutory duties and to comply with our obligations under the Care Act 2014

Who do we share your information with?

For the purpose of processing and validating your financial assessment we may pass information to other agencies or organisations, such as the Department for Works and Pensions, Health Agencies such as the Mental Health Team and  departments within the Council, such as Adult Social Care Housing Benefit and Council Tax, in order to provide efficient services and ensure that benefit and local tax is correctly assessed.

How do we protect your information?

We take the security of your personal information seriously and try to ensure that the necessary controls are in place to ensure that your personal data (either on paper or electronically), is held in a secure manner and is only accessed by those who have a right to see it.

How long do we keep your personal information?

Your personal information will be retained for period of 6 financial years, plus the current financial year, unless there are any outstanding matters after this date.

What you can do with your information?

Under the Data Protection Act you can request the following:

  • You can ask for access to the information we hold on you
  • You can ask to change information you think is inaccurate
  • You can ask to delete information in some circumstances
  • You can ask us to limit what we use your personal data for

Should you wish to exercise any of the above, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon Borough Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaint procedure.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at

You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:                

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

What if you do not provide personal data?

If you do not provide the data requested in the financial assessment application form, we may not be able to process your application properly or at all and you may be held liable for the full cost of your care and support.

How will we ensure compliance?

A yearly audit will take place on personal data to ensure that we remain legally compliant in accordance with current data protection legislation.

Main privacy notice

You are viewing the Privacy Notice for the Non-Residential Care Services Contribution Form.

Read the main Privacy Notice