Privacy Notices - Money management service Privacy Notice


Swindon Borough Council provides a money management service for vulnerable adults who are unable to manage their money themselves and have no one else suitable or available to do this for them.

The service is provided in 2 ways either:

  • as an Appointee where the Council is authorised by the Department for Work and Pensions to manage a client’s benefits and outgoings, or
  • as a Deputy where the Council is authorised by the Court of Protection via a court order to manage a client’s benefits, property, any other income and outgoings

We operate a payments request system (JADU) which enables our staff and third parties to place requests for money on behalf of individuals that we are acting Appointee or Deputy for.

What is a Privacy Notice?

A privacy notice is a statement which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared.

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council will act as a “Data Controller” for any personal data that you provide to us.  We will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations. (GDPR)

To find out more about Swindon Borough Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer or in writing to Data Protection Officer, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 2JH.

Please note that not providing your personal data will lead to you being unable to utilise services provided by ASC money management services.

Your personal data – what is it?

Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This can include information that when put together with other information can then identify a person. For example, this could be your name and contact details.

What personal data do we collect?

We will collect information about all of your finances. We will collect information about your welfare benefits, income sources such as salaries and private pensions, information about your property and other assets and a savings that you hold. We will also collect information such as your name, address and contact number. We will only collect this information in order to assist us to effectively manage your financial undertakings.

When using the payment request service (JADU) we will also collect information regarding the amount you are requesting, bank details and any supporting information that you provide such as invoices or quotations.

How do we process your personal data?

All data is stored electronically and any paper originals are destroyed once scanned. All data is stored separately from other clients and used for the sole purpose of managing your financial affairs.

In regard to the payment request system (JADU) this information is used for the sole purpose of making a payment to you as you have requested. The information you have given will be stored on the secure payments system and a copy saved in your file electronically. This information is not shared outside of Swindon Borough Council.

Swindon Borough Council complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.

Why do we need your personal information?

For the ASC money management service we need your personal information in order to manage your money and assets on your behalf.

How the law allows us to use your information?

Appointee and Deputyships are managed in accordance with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

Who do we share your information with?

The information that you provide to us will enable us to manage your money and assets on your behalf. In order to manage your money and assets we may need to disclose your information to other departments of the Council or external parties.
External parties could include but is not exhausted to:

  • benefits agencies
  • the Court of Protection
  • utility and service companies
  • care agencies providing you with support
  • property services
  • landlords including SBC housing department if relevant
  • other council departments for the calculation of client contribution to social care services
How do we protect your information?

We will do what we can to make sure we hold records about you (on paper and electronically) in a secure way, and we will only make them available to those who have a right to see them.

How long do we keep your personal information?

The data we hold is in relation to managing your finances on your behalf. We will therefore hold the data for the time we are acting as your Appointee or Deputy. If the Appointee or Deputyship ceases, we will hold the data in accordance with the Borough Council Data Retention and Disposal policy for a period of six years.

What you can do with your information?

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to you own personal data
  • The right to request rectification of your personal data
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine-readable format

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon Borough Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaint procedure.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at

You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane


This website also contains information on data protection and your rights and remedies.

What if you do not provide personal data?

As part of us providing an appointee or deputyship service for you there is a statutory obligation for you to provide us with any of your personal data that is relevant to the provision of this service.

How will we ensure compliance?

A yearly audit will take place on personal data to ensure that we remain legally compliant in accordance with current data protection legislation.

Main privacy notice

You are viewing the Privacy Notice for our Money Management Service in Adult Social Care.

Read the main Privacy Notice