Privacy Notices - Electoral registration casual election staff Privacy Notice
- What is a Privacy Notice?
A Privacy Notice is a statement issued by an organisation which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared. You need to be aware of this Privacy Notice if you are submitting information for a casual electoral position.
- Who is collecting and using your personal data?
When we collect your personal data the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) and Returning Officer (RO) is the independent data controller. We collect a range of data about you during the engagement of a casual worker process in a variety of ways.
Personal data will also be stored in a range of different places, including on your application record, your Mobile Elections App (MEA) account which you are required to set up once you have been offered casual employment, on digital communications including emails, our elections management software database and our elections event management system.
- How the law allows us to use your information?
We will need to process data to take steps to enter into an engagement of work with you.
In some cases, we need to process personal data to ensure that we are complying with our legal obligations. For example, it is mandatory to check a successful applicant's eligibility to work in the UK before casual work starts.
Electoral Services has a legitimate interest in processing personal data during the recruitment process and for keeping records of the process. Processing data from job applicants allows us to manage the recruitment process, assess and confirm a candidate's suitability for work, to make reasonable adjustments for those who have a disability and decide to whom to offer a job. We may also need to process data from job applicants to respond to and defend against legal claims.
Electoral Services has a lawful basis to collect personal data as it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest and exercise of official authority as vested in the Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer as set out in Representation of the People Act 1983 and associated regulations.
- Who do we share your information with?
Your data may be shared internally for the purposes of the recruitment exercise and, if you are employed, the election cycle with
- Human Resources & Organisational Development
- Swindon Borough Council’s Payroll Department
- other casual members of staff (such as Polling Station Inspectors and polling station colleagues if you are employed in a polling station role).
Your data may also be shared externally with third parties, such as
- Election software supplier Xpress Software Solutions, if there are specific issues related to the Mobile Elections App account.
- How do we protect your information?
We take the security of your personal data seriously. We have internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your personal data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties.
- How long do we keep your personal information?
Your personal data will be retained and reviewed on a regular annual basis until your engagement with the Elections Team is over. Your engagement with the Elections Team will end once you have asked to be removed from our system and no longer wish to be considered for casual election work, or when your casual employment is terminated by Swindon Borough Council’s Elections Team. Your personal data will be retained for a further three years after your engagement has ended.
- What you can do with your information?
You have a number of rights. You can:
- access and obtain a copy of your data on request (Subject Access Request)
- require the Council’s Elections Team to change incorrect or incomplete data
- require the Council’s Elections Team to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing
- object to the processing of your data where the Council’s Elections Team is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact the Electoral Registration Officer, Data Controller, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon SN1 2JH or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you believe that the Electoral Registration Officer has not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.
- What if you do not provide personal data?
You are under no statutory obligation to provide personal data to Swindon Borough Council’s Elections Team during the casual worker recruitment process. However, if you do not provide the data, we will not be able to offer you work.
- Main privacy notice
You are viewing the Privacy Notice for the recruitment of casual election staff.