Privacy Notices - Parking services operations Privacy Notice
- Who is collecting and using your personal data?
Swindon Borough Council will act as a “Data Controller” for any personal data that you provide to us. We will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations. (GDPR)
To find out more about Swindon Borough Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer. email@example.com or in writing to Data Protection Officer, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 2JH.
Please note that not providing your personal data may lead to you being unable to utilise services provided by parking services.
- Why do we need your personal information?
Swindon Borough Council will use any data collected through the issuing of:
- A Pay and Display ticket, Pay on Foot transaction or Pay by Phone session
- Any residential / business permits, Season Tickets, Passes or dispensation permits
- A Penalty Charge Notice
For the enforcement of parking contraventions and other associated enforcement purposes and permit management and card payments for parking transactions
We rely upon the following legal bases to process your personal data:
- Section 4 of the Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007
- Traffic Management Act 2004
- Transport Act 2000
- Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
- Carrying out of a contract to which you are a party to. For example, Parking in a council car park, you are bound by the terms and conditions of each car park or purchasing a resident permit
- In the public interest or in the exercise of official authority in relation to the enforcement of traffic regulation orders, within the borough of Swindon.
- Who do we share your information with?
The data you provide may be disclosed to other enforcement agencies for enforcing parking contraventions or to agents of the council during the course of Penalty Charge Notice processing and or debt collection. It may also be disclosed to other departments within the Council or external parties for related enforcement purposes or as required to by law.
Third party companies could be as follows:
- Enforcement Agencies for collection of unpaid debts
- Printing companies
- Debt Management system providers
- Other council departments for the purposes of fraud detection
- Pay by Phone companies
- Card Payment suppliers
- Traffic Penalty Tribunals
- Traffic Enforcement Centre
- Police, and or other emergency services
- How long do we keep your personal information?
As the data we hold is in relation to income received, whether that is by means of a Penalty Charge Notice, purchasing a season ticket, or joining a resident scheme. We will keep your personal data for six years + the current financial year.
- What you can do with your information?
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:
- The right of access to you own personal data.
- The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine-readable format.
- The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.
- Your right to complain
In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon Borough Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaint procedure.
If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ICO.org.uk. You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office
This website also contains information on data protection and your rights and remedies.
- Main privacy notice