Apply for a child performance licence

Children who take part in a public performance or activity may need a licence from their local authority for their performance. A public performance or activity may include:

  • stage performance
  • performance in television, film or commercial work
  • modelling
  • paid or professional sports

When a licence is required

A child needs a performance licence if any of the following circumstances are true. The child will:

  • be paid for the performance
  • be absent from school for more than half a day for the performance
  • have performed for more than four days in the six-month period, including the date(s) of the forthcoming performance

The child does not need a performance licence if none of the above circumstances apply. However, the child may need to be covered under Body of Persons Approval (BOPA). You can find out more about BOPA.

The person responsible for the production or activity should apply for the licence. You need to apply at least 21 days before the first performance or activity.

What you’ll need

You need to scan and upload these documents to support your online application:

  • A copy of the completed child performance licence paper application form (PDF). This includes a medical declaration.
  • A recent passport-sized photo of the child 
  • Proof of permission from the child’s school
  • Proof of permission from the child’s parent(s) or carer(s)
  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate or passport
  • A copy of the risk assessment relating to the child’s role 
  • A copy of the child protection or safeguarding policy
  • A copy of the contract, draft contract or other agreement regulating the child’s participation in the performance or activity

Apply for a child performance licence

Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.