Advice for homeless people or those at risk of becoming homeless
Swindon HomeGuide service
The Swindon HomeGuide service is a housing options and advice directory for home-seekers in Swindon, providing advice on the following:
- Private rented accommodation
- Sheltered and adapted accommodation
- Hostels and supported accommodation
- Help for owners
- Low cost ownership schemes
- Council and housing association accommodation
- Drug and alcohol services
- Mental health accommodation
If you are at risk of becoming homeless, there are certain things you can do before approaching the council. These are:
- Contact friends and family to see if they can offer you temporary accommodation
- Try to address any outstanding rent arrears and, if necessary, set up a repayment plan. Agencies such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau can help with budgeting or applying for benefits.
- Make sure you are receiving the benefits you are entitled to. You can review your entitlement at the GOV.UK website.
- Seek alternative, affordable housing solutions in the private sector. If you need advice on this, contact our housing team on 01793 445503. You can also contact landlords online or by visiting or phoning letting agents.