School admission appeals
If you are unhappy with a school admission refusal decision you may appeal against it. The process for this will be detailed in the letter notifying you of the refusal decision.
Your appeal will be arranged by the Appeal Clerks within the Council's Law and Democratic Services Department who work independently of the Admissions Team.
Parents guide to appeals
To appeal against a refusal for a school place in infant Reception Years 1 and 2, please complete the Appeal Form - Infant Reception Years 1 and 2 (PDF).
For any other (non-reception) school place appeals you should complete Appeal Form - General (PDF).
This guide will help you to understand the appeals process; what happens at an appeal hearing and understand how Appeal Panels make their decisions:
To appeal you must complete an Appeal Form, setting out the reasons for your appeal and including any supporting documents. Additional supporting documents may be submitted at a later date, providing they are received at least 6 working days before the date of your Appeal Hearing.
The appeal form you should complete depends on the particular application you are making for your child:
Completed Appeal Forms, together with other supporting documents must be received by us within 20 school days of the date of your refusal letter. The address to send the completed Appeal Form is detailed on the Appeal form.
School admission appeals timetable for academic year 2018/2019
The timetable for School Place Appeals is contained in the following table. Details in the table should be read in conjunction with the supporting notes below it.
Your appeal will be arranged by the Appeal Clerks within Law and Democratic Services who work independently of the Admissions Team.
Secondary School appeals
On-time applications – received by 31 October 2017.
|Wednesday, 1 March 2018||Secondary Transfer allocation day|
|Thursday, 29 March 2018 (20 school days)||Deadline by which your Secondary Transfer appeal form must be received by the Appeal Clerks|
|By Tuesday, 19 June 2018 (40 school days)||Appeals heard for on-time applications|
Primary School appeals
On-time applications - received by 15 January 2018
|Wednesday, 18 April 2018||Primary Transfer allocation day|
|Thursday, 17 May 2018 by 4.00pm*||Deadline by which your Primary Transfer appeal form must be received by the Appeal Clerks|
|By Thursday, 19 July 2017 (40 school days)|| Appeals heard for on-time applications.|
* This is your completed Appeal Form setting out the reasons for your appeal and including any supporting documents.
Supporting notes for timetable
- School place appeals received, for any reason, after the deadlines detailed in Event Numbers 2 and 5 above, will be heard within 40 school days of the deadlines set out above, or within 30 school days of receipt of the appeal, whichever is the later.
- You will receive at least 10 school days’ notice of the date of your appeal hearing. You may waive your right to this length of notice.
- Any additional evidence must be received by the Appeal Clerks at least 6 working days before the date of your appeal hearing. Any evidence submitted after this time may not be considered at the appeal.
- Appeal papers to be considered at the hearing will be issued to the Appeal Panel and other parties 5 working days before the hearing.
- A letter notifying you of the outcome of your appeal will be sent within 5 school days of the appeal wherever possible. However, during the busy period of April to July it is generally not possible to issue the letter within this time but the Clerk will give an indication of when it can be expected at the hearing.
In year applications
Those received between 4 September 2017 and 26 July 2018, will be heard within 30 school days. Parents are requested to complete their Appeal Form within 20 school days from the date of notification that their application was unsuccessful.