Apply for special educational needs travel assistance

You can apply online if you wish to receive travel assistance and your child has moved schools. Students with special educational needs have the same entitlement to transport assistance as all other students. The special educational needs of the student may also be taken into account.

Full details can be found in Section 3 of the following document:

The Council provides travel assistance for the following:

  • a parent consenting to a personal travel budget (PTB) to enable travel arrangements for the student
  • a school or group of schools reaching an agreement with a local authority to provide transport in minibuses owned by the school
  • a transport authority providing free bus passes for all children under the age of 16
  • provision of a pass for a public service bus or other means of public transport
  • provision of a seat on a bus or minibus provided by the local authority
  • provision of a seat in a taxi where more individualised arrangements are necessary

The appropriate transport provision for a student with Special Educational Needs (SEN) will be determined by the Council based on the student’s needs.

Use the online form below to make your application:

Apply for special education needs travel assistance

If you are unable to complete the form online, contact your named case officer who will be able to provide advice and support.

Application criteria

Criteria for children with an education, health and care plan (EHCP)

Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) are assessed on their eligibility for transport by the Special Education Needs Service (formally known as SENAT). Having an Education Health and Care plan does not give automatic entitlement to transport assistance, each case will be assessed individually.

Parents are responsible for their child’s journeys to and from school. However, we have a duty to make transport arrangements for all children who cannot reasonably be expected to walk to school. This may be due to their mobility problems or because of associated health and safety issues related to their special educational needs (SEN) or disability.

An up to date consultant’s letter stating such, or proof of receipt of higher rate DLA, will need to be provided upon application. Applications without the evidence required will be refused.

Distance criteria

How far your child lives from school is called the statutory walking distance. The statutory walking distance is calculated using the shortest walking distance from home to school on Google Maps.

  • Children aged five to seven - More than two miles' distance between home and school
  • Children aged eight to 16 - More than three miles' distance between home and school

Evidence of need criteria

If your child lives under the statutory distance and you want to apply for travel assistance then you will be asked to upload proof of need. Acceptable proofs of need are a blue badge, receipt of the mobility component of DLA or PIP, or a consultants letter stating the following:

  • 'In my professional opinion, (child's name) cannot reasonably be expected to walk to school (accompanied by an adult), due to his/her mobility problems or because of associated health and safety issues related to his/her Special Educational Needs (SEN) or disability'

Further information

If you have any questions relating to SEN Travel, you can contact the SEN Travel Advisor by email at:

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page