COVID-19 - Support for council housing tenants

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we are working to support our tenants and help them through these challenging times.

Key points:

  • Tenants affected by coronavirus are requested to contact their Neighbourhood Housing Officer to discuss their circumstances.
  • Support is available for those who fall behind on rent payments due to coronavirus.
  • Avoid evictions as long as tenants follow the advice and support from housing officers. 

Paying rent

We expect people who are in a position to pay their rent to continue doing so. Support will be available for people who have been impacted by coronavirus. For example, those who have suffered a loss of income or have lost their job.

If you are a tenant who currently pays rent at a shop or Post Office, please consider setting up a Direct Debit or making arrangements to pay online or by telephone.

More information on our webpage: Pay your rent

Local and national financial support 

Universal Credit

If your earnings are reduced or you are facing a loss of earnings, you may be eligible for support through the welfare system. Visit the following links for more information:

'New Style' Employment and Support Allowance

If you are self-employed and have paid enough National Insurance payments in the previous two or three years, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance. This may be available if you have a disability or can't work because of a health condition (for example, coronavirus (Covid-19)).

More information:

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you are too ill to work, your employer should provide statutory sick pay. This includes self-isolating because of coronavirus (Covid-19).

More information:

'New Style' Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

You may be able to claim new style JSA if you are not working or are working less than 16 hours per week on average.

You could get Universal Credit at the same time or instead of ‘New Style' JSA.

More information:

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most working age people.

It can help you pay your rent if you are unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits.

More information on our webpage: Housing Benefit

If you are already receiving Housing Benefit and your income has changed, you should request that we revise your claim. You may be directed to claim Universal Credit.


Council Tax Support

You may be able to get help with your Council Tax bill if you have to make a claim for benefits.

You can make a claim on our website: Council Tax Support

Help and Support

Citizens Advice

Benefits calculators

You can use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get.

More information:

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page