Educational psychology services

What do we do

The Educational Psychology Service (EPS) applies psychological theory and research to promote the learning, development and emotional wellbeing of children, young people and their families across Swindon Borough Council.

The service works with individual and groups of children and young people, schools and other professionals to help support early identification of any needs or emerging issues.

The EPS can make a distinctive contribution in supporting schools and settings to provide a graduated response through a cycle of ‘plan, do, review’, which helps to understand needs and the support required to increase positive outcomes.

What can we offer

The EPS provides a range of traded services to schools and settings to promote the development and well-being of children and young people aged 0-25 through:

  • Consultation to support a process of collaborative problem solving and action planning based on the formulation of psychological hypotheses.
  • Individual assessment, advice and review when there are concerns around, for example; risk of placement break down, school refusal and attendance concerns, a key point of transition with significant vulnerability anticipated, or poor progress across the curriculum.
  • Interventions for individual or groups of children and young people based on therapeutic approaches.
  • Coaching and supervision for individual or groups of staff in schools and settings.
  • Strategic work to support areas of school improvement and schools in challenging circumstances.
  • Training to individual and clusters of schools covering a variety of topics such as attachment, working memory and ELSA (support for social, emotional & mental health/wellbeing).
  • Parenting groups and workshops, for example; parent/carer drop-in sessions and focused workshops covering relevant topics such as building resilience and preparing for transitions.

The EPS also engages in a variety of work which is commissioned by the Swindon Borough Council and NHS Swindon CCG, which includes:

  • Cygnet, a programme for parents and carers of children and young people aged 5-18 who have received a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC).
  • Contributing to neurodevelopmental assessments, for example; ASC & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
  • Consultation clinics for early year’s practitioners.
  • Providing psychological advice for Education, Health and Care needs assessments. 
  • Providing support where required to help the local authority meet its statutory obligations.

Who can request the service

The EPS is a partially traded service, which means all schools and settings within Swindon Borough Council can purchase time for the range of traded services outlined above. We currently ask schools and settings to purchase time from the service in advance, which is then delivered throughout the academic year.

Why choose us

The EPS is evaluated biannually and is highly valued by Swindon schools and settings. Educational Psychologists (EPs) are psychology graduates and undertake post–graduate/doctoral training in Educational Psychology. All EPs are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. 

Our EPs have a wide knowledge and range of skills to supporting learning and development; improving outcomes for children and young people with special educational needs and disability. We regularly engage in CPD and keep up-to-date with psychological research and evidence informed interventions to inform best practice.

EPs are also skilled in supporting the development of other professionals working with children and young people, as well as using research and systemic methods to impact on positive organisational change.

How to access the service

For further information or a discussion around any specific needs, please contact us via email: or by phone on 01793 463075.

Details about how to make a formal complaint can be found on Complain, comment or compliment children and adults services webpage.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page