Short breaks for disabled children - Aiming High
The purpose of the Aiming High Short Breaks programme is to provide access for children and young people with disabilities to social and leisure activities, and to enable their parents and carers to have a break from their caring responsibilities.
Short breaks can include day, evening, weekend or holiday activities. We work with families to identify and agree the activities that would be most suitable for them, and provide:
- General information and advice about the range of activities available (see Short Breaks leaflet below)
- Advice and guidance about specific activities for disabled children, helping to match them to the needs of the individual child or young person
- Information about specialist support services that facilitate access to a wider range of activities. This extra support is to help remove the barriers that prevent access but doesn't cover the cost of the activity itself. The extra support is not restricted to the activities run solely by Swindon Borough Council.
This service is for the families of disabled children and young people (from birth through to their 18th birthday) who live in the Borough of Swindon. Anyone can request this service regardless of whether they're the family member of a disabled child or a childcare practitioner/professional making a referral.
You can contact us by:
Telephone: 01793 464080
On receipt of your enquiry, an Inclusion & Outreach Worker will contact you within 5 working days to discuss your enquiry and if appropriate, arrange a convenient time to visit you. This will be an informal opportunity to discuss your individual needs in more detail, share information and look at the type of short breaks and activities that would be most suitable.
Swindon’s short breaks statement provides information about the short breaks available, eligibility criteria and how the service is designed to meet the needs of local families.
The Aiming High newsletter is issued 3 times per year, ahead of the main school holidays. It includes the latest information about services for the families of children and young people with disabilities and details accessible activities taking place during the holidays:
- Aiming High Newsletter - Winter 2017 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Summer 2017 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Spring 2017 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - February 2017 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Winter 2016 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Summer 2016 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Spring 2016 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Winter 2015 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Summer 2015 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - Spring 2015 (PDF)
- Aiming High Newsletter - February 2015 (PDF)
Register to receive information
We try to ensure that the Aiming High Newsletter, and other information about Aiming High Short Breaks is distributed as widely as possible. By registering with us through 'SADIE' (Swindon Area Database and Information Exchange) you can receive information more quickly, because we can write to you directly. SADIE is a voluntary register for children and young people with disabilities, additional needs or long-term health conditions.
To register, please telephone or e-mail us at the contact details shown above.