Upgrade to over-counter payments and card payment made over the phone

An upgrade of the corporate finance system is taking place from 21 to 23 May 2018. Customers experiencing problems paying for goods/ services over this period should contact the relevant service team.

Young people leaving care

The Route 16+ Service provides support and assistance for 'looked after children' (children in care) and those leaving care (care leavers). It is provided by Social Workers and each young person that qualifies for the service has a 'Personal Advisor'. The support available to the young person varies depending upon need, but can cover the areas such as:

  • Financial assistance.
  • Provision of accommodation.
  • Assistance to access education, employment or training.
  • Priority access to all health services including CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).
  • Development of practical and life skills to support the young person’s move into adulthood and future independence.

All of the above are in addition to the statutory duties for children in care and care leavers.

Who the service is for

The service is for young people in care, or leaving care, who are aged from 16 to 21 years (or up to 25 years where the young person has a disability or has continued in education).

To qualify for transfer from care to Route 16+ the young person needs to have been a 'looked after child' for a period of 13 weeks from their 14th birthday and on or after their 16th birthday. The time in care does not have to be continuous but must meet the above requirements.

Who can request the service 

The service cannot be requested directly by members of the public as referrals are made via other social care teams and practitioners as part of the normal transfer process.

Sources of information

The National Care & Advisory Service (NCAS) website gives advice and guidance on all matters relating to the rights and entitlements of 'care leavers'. The NCAS is independent from all local authorities.

Last updated: 03 November 2015. Was this information helpful?

Help us improve swindon.gov.uk

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.