M4 Junction 16 improvement works
Latest news and updates on the project
Work at Junction 16 is moving forward on several fronts. Inside the northern section of the roundabout the contractor is continuing to carry out earthworks, drainage and culvert works. At the M4 westbound off slip nearside, the drainage has been completed and the road construction is about to start. Between Hay Lane and the westbound off slip, the new surface has been laid and work on the verges is ongoing. Between Hay Lane and the A3102 Swindon Road the road surface has been laid and footway works are underway. Between the A3102 Swindon Road and the M4 westbound entry slip road the road is being widened and drainage work is continuing. The Lydiard Fields area is starting to take shape with the new kerbs installed on the traffic islands.
You may have noticed more traffic than usual on the build up to Junction 16, particularly on the M4 slip roads. This coincides with the traffic lights being temporarily switched to run off historical data, as the reactive ‘loops’ in the road needed to be taken out of use in order to continue with the scheme. The Contractor, with the help of the specialist traffic signal engineers, is regularly monitoring and adjusting the timings to optimise traffic flows. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.
- Hay Lane night time closure – Thursday, 19 October from 8pm-6am
- The Lydiard Fields no right turn remains in place and there will be intermittent lane closures on Great Western Way over the next four weeks as contractors work on the new layout. You can also expect to see some temporary lights in place here from the beginning of November while the new signals are installed. All businesses remain open as usual.
- The A3102 Swindon Road, will be closed overnight for short periods to carry out drainage and surfacing, dates for these will be confirmed, but we will give at least two weeks’ notice for this closure.
- Lane closures on and around the roundabout and slip roads will be utilised off peak as needed but traffic will still be able to flow through the roundabout.
For archived information and our latest blogs concerning Junction 16, please see details below:
- Junction 16 archive newspage
- Lydiard Fields No Right Turn - August 2017 (PDF)
- Clay, Clear as Mud - May 2017 (PDF)
- Imported Clay - March 2017 (PDF)
- Route Planner for Imported Clay - March 2017 (PDF)
Junction 16 improvement works
Swindon Borough Council is undertaking major works to remodel Junction 16 of the M4. This scheme is part of our plan to improve roads across the network and further enhance the growth and economy of Swindon and Wiltshire.
The scheme will be funded by the Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and the Wichelstowe Joint Venture. It is being delivered by Swindon Borough Council in partnership with Highways England and Wiltshire Council.
Works are now underway and will ensure the major highway interchange can cope with forecast future traffic levels and cater for future development in the surrounding areas.
Hochtief (UK) Construction Ltd is carrying out the work, which is expected to be complete by Spring 2018.
The junction will be open to traffic at all times, with the exception of the occasional overnight closure, but there is likely to be some disruption to motorists.
If you have questions or comments about the work at Junction 16, please get in touch with us.
Telephone: 01793 445500
Subscribe to the Highways Newsletter
Anyone who would like to receive the latest news relating to the Junction 16 upgrade can subscribe to the Council’s Highways News newsletter